Chapter Eleven

“What are you doing here?” I snapped, glaring at Del. The tension in the room grew and I wondered if Del was the one who told someone. I could see him doing that, but before anyone else could speak, Devon stepped forward in his usual black suit and thin tie.

“Well your parents called us because of what happened. We honestly don’t know what happened and we’re so sorry for this.” He spoke quickly, and for once he didn’t have his phone out and it wasn’t beeping constantly.

I crossed my arms over my chest, glaring at Del though, who stood with his hands in his pockets, his eyes now on me. He smirked and winked at me and I rolled my eyes, looking away from him. I felt Mark release his arm from over my shoulder as he shifted on the couch.

“Well what are we supposed to do now?” My mother asked, looking at Devon.

“There isn’t much to do. Ivalin, did they get your picture?” Devon said, his gaze shifting from my mother to me.

“Yes.” I said quietly, looking down.

“They’ve got her picture, they know her name. They’ll be able to find her now. They’re ruthless. They aren’t going to stop until she admits it was her, and even after that, they won’t leave her alone. She is the next great thing since she worked with Del.” Devon said.

“I knew this was a bad idea. Didn’t I tell you this was a bad idea Valorie?” My father spoke gruffly.

“Roan, stop it.” My mother said sharply, her voice clipped.

“What do I do now?” I asked, my eyes moving to Devon.

“Well, Ivalin, we don’t have many options.” Devon said, taking in a quick breath, “If you haven’t already talked to them-”

“I didn’t.” I interrupted, sliding little closer to Mark.

“Well you can choose to come out on your own instead of them posting it all over the papers and internet. Or you can try to keep hidden, but I can promise you they will get it out there no matter what. It is best for you to come out. Now, after you come out, if that is what you decide to do, you will have a lot of offers with records and television interviews. If you don’t want to do them, you say no. After a while this news will die down and you should eventually be able to slowly go back to your life.” Devon was calm, his hands clasped in front of him.

“And we’ll be here for you every step of this.” Del said, his voice had softened quite a lot and his smug face had changed as he appeared to actually care that this was happening to me.

“I don’t want you here for me. If I hadn’t agreed to actually sing with you, none of this would have happened!” I felt Mark’s hand on my leg, squeezing it gently.

“It’s okay.” He said softly and I glanced at his brown eyes which were soft. I swallowed and nodded, knowing I shouldn’t be taking it out on the people in the room.

“Ivalin, no one wants you to feel hurt right now. We didn’t want this to happen to you. I don’t know who did this, but I promise you when I find out, I swear to God-” Del was stopped from his rant as Devon reached out and grabbed his shoulder. “Sorry…” Del said, and I noticed his fingers uncurling from making a fist. He let out a sharp breath.

“So what? We wait and figure out what is going on and then make a decision?” My dad asked as I swallowed, looking to my mom. She was standing looking down at the floor.

“I want to come out.” I said quickly.

“Ivalin, you are too stressed to make a decision like that right now.” My father spoke quickly, looking me dead in the eyes.