Chapter Six

The woman who seated us gave Del an odd look, which he obviously ignored and pranced forward, reaching out and grabbing my arm from behind me and pulling me after him. It wasn’t like I’m incapable of following, it isn’t that hard, but for some reason, Del likes to think that I can’t.

The restaurant was a dark in general, with dark blue walls, black booths and tables, though large windows around the whole building. A tall table with round stools that were also black, lined the bar, which the woman had asked if we wanted to sit at, but Del said no. We were in a corner by ourselves in a booth, Del sitting across from me. I shifted, looking around.

“What would you do if I don’t like sushi?” I asked, seeing five men behind the bar chopping away at fish.

“Do you?” He asked quizzically, his eyes landing on mine.

“Yes.” I said slowly, looking back at him.

“Then there isn’t a problem.” He said, picking up the large thick menu and yanking it open.

“But what if I didn’t?” I let my fingers spread over the menu, but didn’t pick it up. Del didn’t look past the menu, but just cleared his throat.

“I knew you liked it.” He said matter-of-factly.

“How?” I let out a huff, rolling my eyes and picking up the menu.

“Because you just look like the kind that likes sushi.”

“That is not a reason.”

“Enough with the questions. I just took a guess, okay?”

I fell quiet, letting my eyes lower, taking my hands off from the menu and set them in my lap. His words had been harsh, impatient, irritable and I wasn’t used to that. I was never used to that and to be honest, it hurt my feelings.

I just stared at the front of the menu, a shiver running up my spine then down my arms. I adjusted in the booth, which now felt sticky. I pushed my bag towards the wall, giving myself more room. I swallowed and turned my head as a waitress came up.

“Hey guys, you know what you would like order?” I let my eyes scan over her. She was petite and curvy with long dark hair pulled into a high pony tail and dark almond shaped eyes. She gave me an easy smile and I watched as her smile faltered when she looked to Del. She looked back to me and looked gave me an apologetic look that said ‘I’m sorry you are stuck with this loser’. If she only knew who he really was under those ugly clothes and hair stuffed into that putrid hat.

I shrugged, looking to Del. His eyes scanned over the woman and he smirked, but didn’t give her a second glance. I guess she wasn’t his type, I don’t see how not though.

“I don’t think we are ready.” Del finally purred, his smooth velvety voice catching the woman off guard.

“What about some drinks?” She suggested, looking back to me.

“I’ll just take ice water.” I said, finally picking up my menu and ignoring Del as he ordered his drink.

The woman left and I finally got a good look at the menu. The pages were full of different sushi. They had several kinds of seaweed salad, hand rolls and long rolls. The pages were full of sushi I had never heard of before. Well, at least what was placed in it.

“What looks good?” I heard from Del and I just shook my head, not really wanting to talk to him now. “Well is there anything you don’t like?” I just shrugged and heard Del let out a sigh.

“I don’t like eel, that’s all.” I snapped, pulling the menu closer to me.

“What’s your problem?”