Chapter One

I'm never the main part in the play, I'm never the singer with a solo, and I'm never the lead to the dance. I'm always in the background. I'm perfectly content with it too.

It was my study period, right after lunch, my fifth period class. I was in the music department of the small private school and was in one of the practice rooms. I had passed a group of guys going in who were leaving, each carrying a guitar, but I wasn't going in for that, I was going in to work on my singing. We had a concert coming up for the choir class I was in, and even though I hadn't tried out for the three solo parts, I still was taking it seriously.

I was startled and my voice cracked as there was a pounding coming on the door of the room I was in. I groaned and moved towards the door just as another series of pounding came to the door. Becoming irritated, I yanked the door open and my friend Aurora practically fell into the room.

"Aren't you supposed to be in creative writing?" I asked, my eyes narrowing.

"Yeah, I am, but I skipped." She was acting giddy as she bopped around. It was of course, the reason why almost any guy wanted Aurora. She was tall, her hair a soft blonde color with stunning blue eyes and curves in all the right places. On the other hand, I was short and petite, having barely any curves, just enough to make it clear that I was in fact, a female. Aurora had hair half way down her back and was perfect, no matter what style it was in. On the other hand, I had a natural orange color for hair, tinted with brown. Unlike Aurora's pretty blue eyes I had dark green ones. Someone might say I would stick out, but the reason as I don't, is because I'm not like that. I'm not quiet, I just don't like being the center of attention.

"Why?" I asked, my eyebrows knitting together.

"Because..." Aurora paused, reaching into her the pocket of her tight black jeans.

"Because?" I asked as she felt around in her pocket.

"Hold on, my phone is in my other pocket." She said, lifting a thin finger, painted with no smudges with a vibrant pink color.

"Aura, could you hurry up, I'm trying to practice."

"Ivalin, stop being so hung up." She said as she yanked her phone from her pocket. "Okay, I already called them back, but I still have the message." She was clicking the buttons on her phone before she put it on speaker and the mechanical voice came on, before switching over to the actual message.

"Hello, Aurora. This is Vick from KQST radio station. I'm just calling to let you know you are the winner of the tickets and backstage passes to Del Johnson's concert coming up in the next few weekends. Go ahead and give us a call back so we can send you your tickets."

As the end of the message came, Aura squealed and grabbed my hands, jumping up and down. "You have to come with me!"

"Aura, I don't like Del." I said with a huff, though I tried to be happy for her. "Ask Johanna, she loves him." I watched as Aurora pouted.

"But you are my best friend! And because I'm eighteen now and you are still seventeen, you have to do what I say."

"That makes utterly no sense."

"Please?" She dragged out the word, her head tilting to the side in an adorable way.

"Fine. But only because I love you." I said, forcing her to let go of my hands. I wasn't really an affectionate kind of person.

"Hallelujah!" She cried out, clapping her hands together. "And I'm going to make you look hot, since you know..." She gestured to my old baggy jeans that were on my leg and plain blue striped sweater that was also rather baggy.

"Gee, thanks." I said, shoving her arm.

"You know I mean it in a loving way." She smiled softly but I just rolled my eyes.

"Don't you need to get back to your class?" I asked.

"Are you that willing to get rid of me Ivy?" She said, letting out a laugh.

"No, it's just that-"

"It is just that you are always working on singing and have no time for your best friend. Which you know, happens to be me. And hunny, I know you want to sing and all, but you are already amazing at it, I don't think you can get any better at it. When is the last time we have done anything together? In forever!"

"I don't understand, I'm agreeing to go to this stupid concert with you."

"First of all, it is not a stupid concert. Second, it is good music. Third, Del is only nineteen. That means you, or I, could have a chance with that hunky, yummy, delicious, scrumptious-"

"Okay, stop! I get it, you think he is hot." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Don't you?"

"No, not really." I shook my head.

"Why? Have you even seen him? He is tall, toned, dark shaggy hair, but not that long crap, thick eyelashes, dark moody eyes, his music is perfect for girls, he obviously knows what he is singing about, he plays the guitar which a turn on and his dance moves are killer." She droned on, seeming to get lost in thought.

"Sorry that I don't find that attractive." I said, turning away from her.

"Well miss goody two shoes," She paused dramatically, "You never fall for the hot bad boy. You like the nice, sweet, smart boys. Not that Del isn't, but he has a bad side in him."

"Then if there is ever a case where he wants either of us, you can have him." I rolled my eyes and shifted, looking around the bland room.

"Well we are going to meet him. Hello, we get to go backstage after the concert. Obviously it is going to be fantastic. How can he not fall for one of us? Seriously, just look at us!" She came up next to me and draped her arm over my shoulder.

"Enough about the concert. I've got to get back to practice. And you need to get to your stage production class after this."

Aurora stuck her tongue out at me, "That class sucks. I'd much rather be in my advanced acting class. Or maybe our dance class together. That is always better."

"The life of an actress." I said, placing a hand over my chest and keeling down.

"The life of a singer." Aurora said, drawing out the words in an uneven melody.

"No offense, Aura, but there is a reason you are in acting and not music." I let out a laugh and Aurora gave me a dirty look. She reached out a swapped her hand at me.

"Shut up!" She cried out as she turned away, heading towards the door.

"Where are you going?" I asked, feeling guilty.

"I'd better get to my stage production class." She said in a mocking voice as she shot me a glance over her shoulder.

"Whatever." I said, kicking her lightly in the butt as she headed out the door.

"You knock that off." She said before she disappeared down the hall.

I laughed, rolling my eyes. I had been to concerts before, and even though I didn't see what everyone else did in Del, I was going to make a good night no matter what.