Chapter Nine

We finished all the songs. They were recorded and getting ready to be put on the radio, which I had no idea how long it would take for that. But today was the day I was going back home. Thank goodness I was going back to my normal life. I gently folded the three outfits that were new and set them on the top. I zipped by bag and brought it over my shoulder with a sigh.

I was mostly glad to be getting away from Del. It wasn’t because he was a jerk either. It was because he had started to make my heart flutter in a way I’d never imagined and was filled with feelings that I didn’t believe in. I could go back to hating Del from a distance instead of secretly taking a liking to him. Plus it was unreal to have feelings for him. I mean, he was Del Johnson, who could have any girl in the world and I was quirky fiery sarcastic Ivalin, who is unknown to the world and probably always will be.

As I walked out of the room I saw Del waiting by the front door, looking down at his phone. His head lifted to me and he smiled as I moved forward. “Ready to go?” He asked and I just nodded, continuing to move to the door.

“Yup.” I said flatly, shifting my bags.

“I’m not going to lie, Ivalin, I think I’m going to miss hanging out with you. You’re ten times better than most of the girls I know.”

“Gee, thanks.” I said as I rolled my eyes playfully as Del opened the door for me.

“You’re quite intriguing. I’m looking forward to keeping in touch with you.” He said and I gave him an odd look. “What?”

“We aren’t going to keep talking. I don’t want people to know.” I muttered as I stepped outside. “I have to go. Thanks for letting me help out with your songs.”

I was surprised when Del stepped out after me, stopping me. He grabbed my arm and then he wrapped his arms tightly around me in a hug. I didn’t know what to do as I stood there awkwardly, my arms still clasping the strap of my bag so it wouldn’t slide off my shoulder and down my arm.

“I’ll see you around.” He said when he pulled away and gave me a wink. I shifted feeling confused.

“Okay…” I said as I turned away from him and headed away from the small house, and away from Del.

---------

On Saturday I drove over to Aurora’s house after having her call me almost every minute of the day to get me there. As I pulled into her driveway behind her car she came running out of the house. I turned my car off and popped open the door and slid out before being tackled by Aura as she hugged me so tightly I thought I’d pass out.

“Get off me!” I said, shoving her away from me as I laughed.

“I missed you! You can’t leave me alone like that again. Oh my God, you won’t believe what is going on! Johanna is dating Dylan now and I was totally going crazy without you because they are driving me crazy and Riley won’t leave me alone and I don’t like him. I’ll show you all the texts he is sending me.”

“Slow down.” I said, laughing again, “I don’t know what is going on and you are talking too fast.” I said, moving towards the house with her.

“How was your camp choir thing? Whatever it was.” Aura said as we moved through the front door.

“Lame. It wasn’t that great. But it looks good for certain things you know?”

“I get that.” She said briefly, “Any cute guys?”

“Eh. A few but they were all jerks.” I shrugged.

“All the cute ones are. So stupid.” She rolled her eyes. “Hey, so next weekend a few of us are going to the beach. Johanna and Dylan, me, Mark, Jake, and I’m hoping you will come too, but I didn’t know if you wanted to go. I figured me and you would end up chilling by ourselves at the beach anyway. And I know you don’t like Jake, but Mark is nice so…” She trailed off, eying me. She knew I didn’t like hanging out with big crowds like that. Even though it wasn’t a large crowd, the guys just annoyed me and if Aurora was right about Johanna and her boyfriend then she’d be no fun.