chapter 4 - my escape

Oh god, I thought. Why here? That means instead of one in like 10 million, I’m one in like 100. That sure gives me a better chance.

I realized that I was looking down. I quickly looked back up at the screen to see that the woman had disappeared.

“Lock it down,” someone yelled.

People were scrambling everywhere, mostly girls. Before I knew what I was doing, I was at the door of the gym with a bunch of other girls from some of my classes. Everyone was yelling in my ear, but I didn’t hear anything but my hand banging on the door. Suddenly I was being pulled backwards. My chances of escape were dwindling every second that I let them pull me further away from the door.

The people in suits were holding all of the girls away from the doors. I realized all of the boys were being escorted out of the back into the school yard. That was my chance. I could get out and run! I wouldn’t let the government use me as bait.

I looked up at the suit holding on to me. A man. Perfect. I swung my leg behind me, hitting him right in his soft spot. Almost instantly, he let go of me and fell to the ground. I bolted out the door where the guys had exited. I stopped, just for a second, outside.

I couldn’t believe that actually worked! Nobody saw me leave? I looked back; they had just realized what I did. They were scrambling even more. Some started to run towards me.

Damn it. I started to run across the field. Where should I go? Not my house. They will definitely look there. Not any of my friends’ houses. They’d look there too. I made it to the alley, jumped over the fence and kept running. I didn’t dare turn around. But where should I go? Someone who I trust. Echo! Yes, of course! They wouldn’t suspect the person who I babysit for. I took an automatic right and headed for her house.