Faultering

***HARRY'S P.O.V***

I watched with a smile on my face as I watched Melanie play with Darcy, pushing her on the swings at the park. My two beautiful girls laughing together made my heart melt. They truly are my entire world. My eyes settled on Mel, as she pushed Darcy softly, speaking to her in a gentle tone. Suddenly her eyes flickered to me, and her smile faltered. My heart throbbed at the sight. She still smiled at me, but it wasn't genuine. It wasn't the same beautiful smile that made her whole face light up. I  knew why she was acting this way though, and it was all my fault.

Three weeks have passed since they came back home after our fight at the hospital. Three long, pain filled weeks. It was fine at first, we were all a happy family, smiles on all our faces, but now it seems like a blanket of hostility and pain in smothering us. Even little Darcy has picked up on it. My anger has been coming back frequently, and every time I take it out on Melanie. My loving, sweet wife. She doesn't deserve it, at all, yet all she can do it grit her teeth and take it, then turning around and smiling to act brave for Darcy. I know she is hurting, but most of all, she is scared.

The other night when she thought I was still in bed asleep, I heard her on the phone talking with Alex. The conversation still tears my heart in two.

***Flashback***

"Mel." I muttered softly, reaching my arm out in bed expecting to feel her warm body, instead landing on an empty pile of sheets. My eyes snapped open, to see she was gone, our bedroom door open just a crack, and light shone from under the bathroom door. At first I thought she was in the bathroom going toilet, but then I hear her hushed voice whispering.

"Alex, I don't know what to do." she muttered, pain laced in every word. "His anger gets worse everyday. I try and brush it off, but I can't help but fear he is going back to his old ways." 

Guilt ate away at me from the inside, devouring me whole, as I walked to the door, pressing my ear up against the wooden door.

"Yes, I still love him, but for the real Harry, not the  violent rough man that originally kidnapped me and abused me and made my life a living hell." her voice shook. "I can't go through that again Lex, I can't!" she croaked out. "Plus now that Zadie and Ryder are on the way, I can't risk anything." Silence filled the room and Alex spoke to her through the phone, no doubt warning her of me, probably telling her to get the hell away from me. Although he may be right that I am dangerous, I am too selfish to let her go. I won't let her go.

"No...I'll be fine. But if things get worse..." she trailed off.

_

"Yeah I know Alex."

_

"I...I don't know what would happen." she muttered solemnly.

_

"Yeah, okay."

_

"I promise you Alexander." she sighed slightly. "Okay, I gotta go. Don't want to wake Harry up. Seeya soon mate, bye."

I quickly scampered away from the door, running back into our room and diving under the covers. A few seconds later I heard the soft shuffling as she crept across the bedroom floor, and then I felt the bed dip as she carefully climbed back in, pulling the covers up over her.

Tired Of Feeling Alone (Sequel to When a murderer comes knockingOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara