This Time, I Call The Shots

Kik Mel to tell me to update. She is the reason I updated today through cray cray schedule. kik: MelBellClaire. Also to the girl who messaged asking, the reason we both go by Claire is because I am LEGIT Claire, her middle name is Claire (see why we're besties :P) but Melanie actually means child of darkness, so she hates it and goes by middle name :) #Done! xo

***Harry's P.O.V***

"Harry can you get that?" Mel asked with her hands in the mixing bowl. Darcy, Mel, and I were in the kitchen making scones for lunch as a family when the door bell ringed.

"Hmm, I'm sure I could." I grinned, nuzzling my head into the crook of her neck and pecked her soft skin as she kneaded the dough. My arms were locked around her waist, and Darcy was far too pre-occupied by sneaking away chocolate chips from beside her where she sat on the bench, watching us. Both Mel and I had turned a blind eye.

"Would you?" Melanie clarified through a laugh, shaking her head. A stray curl fell from the bun on her head, making her look even cuter in a frazzled kind of way.

"Alright," I playfully sighed, "I hope you realize what an incredible husband I am." I teased untangling myself from her frame and strolling out of the kitchen towards the door.

"The very best." She called after me, making me laugh to myself. A small smile still graced my lips as I swung the front door open.

"Hey-" I paused when I was met by nobody at all. Just the long empty driveway ahead of me, without a soul in sight. "Teenagers." I grumbled to myself, assuming some kid had made a stupid prank.

"Who was it?" Mel asked as I returned, her proving more than efficient in the kitchen as she was now placing the dough pieces rolled into scones, onto the baking tray.

"Mr nobody." I huffed reaching out for Darcy and swinging her onto my hip. "Never grow up, my baby." I grinned as Darcy giggled up at me. I swing her around in the air and her giddy squeals filled the air as I swung her left and right, Melanie smiling and laughing at the sight.

"If you give her concussion I'll give you one." she warned, her momma-bear instinct kicking in, but she never stopped smiling as she watched on.

"Oh, you hear that? Mummy's got a temper." I teased, making both of them laugh.

"Oi!" Melanie playfully scolded. She chuckled softly as she picked up the tray and placed it in the oven. I mumbled stupid things to Darcy, not wanting to put her down, but paused when I glanced over at Mel who stood motionless staring out the kitchen window.

"Darling, what's wrong?" I immediately asked at her posture.

"I just got that icy feeling I was being watched." Mel whispered, not wanting Darcy to hear. I walked to the kitchen beside her and stared out. My eyes scanned the tree-lines, nothing but forest and gravel.

"Baby." I mumbled kissing Mel's shoulder, "Zayn is gone." I assured her. Ever since I had saved Mel from him, Melanie had been struggling with forgetting. Nightmares, flash-backs, constantly checking over her shoulder. Not that I could blame her. I still woke up in a sweat sometimes, hugging Melanie tightly to me.

"I know." She sighed, shaking her head. "I'm being pathetic."

"No." I immediately assured her. "It's understandable. What you went through was horrific."

"What If I never get over it?"

"You will-"

"There!" She snapped, pointing to the left. My eyes zapped in the direction her finger was pointing, but again I say nothing. "I saw something." she gushed. "A hooded figure, I'm sure."

"Melanie." I began in a calming tone.

Knock....knock...knock

We both froze at that sound. Three strung out knocks at the door. That wasn't normal. They were playing with us. With my wife.

"Mel, take Darcy and go upstairs." I ordered quietly. Her eyes widened, panic truly setting in. She opened her mouth to protest.
Knock...
Knock....
Knock...
Melanie clamped her mouth shut and swallowed her refusal. "Just be careful okay?" She whispered through a hoarse voice and glassy eyes.
"Of course, baby." I promised kissing her temple before handing Darcy over to her and watching my two girls retreat up the stairs. I waited until I heard the door to our bedroom close and heard the faint click before taking slow measured steps to the front door.
Knock...
Knock...
Scratch
Whoever it was raked their nails down the door. My jaw clenched in anger at the realization that this prick was toying with my family. My hand slowly grabbed the first thing to my right, the baseball bat Mel placed by the door "just in case." I had humoured her at the time because the paranoia was understandable after her going through something so traumatic. Now I was not only grateful but proud. She was finally learning to look after herself no matter the cost. Holding the bat above my shoulder I used my left hand to yank the front door open.
"Listen here you son of a bit-"
Nobody was there.
My eyes scanned my surroundings but I saw no sign of movement. I nearly closed the door when I saw a post it note on the door mat.
"You're time left as a happy family is limited. See how many more baking days with your girls you can fit in before I take all that you love. Can you really protect her?
-z
My blood ran cold. They had officially threatened my wife and kid. They were dead as far as I was concerned. I took a few steps outside and still saw nobody.
"Leave my family alone or I swear I will end you!" I yelled swinging the bat at the air. Z. Zayn? Perhaps he had escaped after all. My heart ached for Mel at the thought. I stormed back inside heading for the phone intending on calling the prison and checking he was still locked up. My footsteps froze and my breathing ceased as my eyes landed on the photo frame on the cabinet where the phone sat. The photo of Mel standing in front of me, my arms locked around her waist as we smiled at the camera. Only Melanie's face had been crossed out with a red marker. The glass cracked. Next to the precious photo lay another post it note
"See how easy it was for my to get your girl? Next time it will be the real deal."
*******
Dun dun duuuun! :o comment your reactions!! Also Mel has started her own story on our account called 'beauty and the broke' and yeah its her first fanfic but she told me the plot and OMG! Check it out! She has a dream of getting published so PLEASE read and comment and share her story? Would mean the world to her! Me too because shes going through hell rn and needs a positive! If she gets more views I will update quicker! :D hope you liked the update guys! Xx