Topic 4: Cultural Appropriation To Cultural Appreciation.

Topic 4: Cultural Appropriation to Cultural Appreciation

Cultural Appreciation: The adoption and use of the elements of one culture by members of another culture or the same culture on forms of celebration, praising, and showing their love of the different traditions in a non offensive way. Typically by educating one's self about the culture and taking part in their customs WITH PROPER PERMISSION!

Cultural Appropriation: the adoption or use of the elements of one culture by members of another culture. Typically being used in form of mockery or costume therefore being offencive.(unfortunately I couldn't exactly find 1 set definition of Cultural Appropriation so from my understanding based of of the multiple definitions this is my conclusion.)

~(C.A is going to be the shortened form of cultural appropriation today.)~

Question: What is cultural appropriation to you?

My Answer: When I first heard of C.A I was basically told it was a case where someone wears something cultural or traditional from cultures that are not theirs. Then it was followed up as a question and I was asked if i agreed with it or not. So based off of that I was fine with it. Looking further into it and now knowing what a majority of people say it is i'm in a middle ground on it.

Question: What is a common case of cultural appropriation?

My Answer: The most common situation i've seen people call out C.A for is when a person (in this case usually Caucasian) wears something like a Kimono, Dashikis, Bindi, Hijab, or has their hair done in cornrows/dreds or box braids. I rarely ever see anyone that is African-American, Hispanic/Latino , or West Asian get called out on this but rather Caucasian and East Asian. Most of this I particularly find stupid. Mainly the hair situation. I see no reason why a White woman can't do her hair in cornrows. Cornrows are a protective and growth style for your hair. So why the hell is it seen offensive for a woman to want to take care of her hair or just likes the style? Also if wearing cornrows as a white woman is offensive then a black girl straightening her hair is too. But there's other things like what i stated before. For example let's take Kimonos. Here in america I've seen Traditional Japanese Kimonos , modern/urban Kimonos, cosplay Kimonos, costume Kimonos and sexy Kimonos. Now for someone who is not from the culture in which they originated I don't really have much say in what is appropriate and what isn't. Although Kimonos are typically made for the purpose of wearing to festivals or (from my understanding) informal occasions. There are Kimonos for formal occasions and have differences and are from what I know a bit more complex. As common sense these things shouldn't be used in forms of sexualization or to make mockery nor stereotype (which is always offensive) because that's not their purpose. This goes for all traditions and religious items. So on that note I don't necessarily agree with the costume ones (not including cosplay because they follow the traditional aspects but they are just made for the purpose of costume. The way I phrased that is contradicting to my argument here) or the sexy ones because they don't resemble the basic aspects of the original item. Seriously have you ever seen a sexy Cheongsam before? The whole thing is lace and most of them are crazy short. Cheongsam is suppose to be long. But what do you expect for something that is suppose to be sexy...

Question: What are some things that are from other cultures that can also be seen as cultural appropriation?

My Answer: The common things are gowns, headwear, makeup, and hair but there are things that are looked passed such as tattooing, piercings, accents, wearing wigs, Henna tattoo, body modification in general, eating with chopsticks and so on and so forth. Tattooing is believed to be originated as Tahitian thing. While lip and tongue piercings were historically found in African and American tribal cultures. People act as if things like cheongsam (長衫), Hanfu, Dashikis, Kimono, Hanbok (한복), Geisha (芸者), geiko (芸子), or geigi (芸妓), or Irezumi, Kosovorotka, Fez, Turban, Burka, Kippahs, (So on and so forth) aren't modernized, But I have yet to hear anyone get called out for having snake bites, pale foundation, long bodycon dresses, Their hair in a bun or tattooing... These can all be seen as C.A. Costume that are a mockery, micic/resemble other tradition, customs and religion are all factors of C.A. Hippies, gypsies, irish, etc. That's still all under this category.

Question: Why is cultural appropriation so offensive?

My Answer: When I hear about C.A offending people in terms of actual cases I see why it's offensive. If i wasn't born & raised in america and I was born into a native based culture I would be very offended. Simply because there are things that are being stereotyped, mocked, and sexualized that shouldn't be. Something that is traditional and cultural are beliefs much like religion and are passed down from generation to generation. Is something that you have with your ancestors therefore it means a lot to people. It's a form of connection and love. But it's being overdone, racist and sexualized. So that's a massive level of disrespect. On top of that the majority of the time when it's being stereotyped is during Halloween when someone wears clothing that isn't necessarily correct. People are doing shit like wearing a piece of cloth or animal skin on their crotch then a headband with big feathers and some colorful war paint and going around saying shit like "Look at me i'm an Indian" then mocking/ mimicking traditional dances and rituals. Or getting drunk and wearing green then saying "I'm an Irish" or asking a ginger where you can find a pot of gold... But that's how most Indians are portrayed on the tv mostly in kids cartoons. So now is a factor of kids learning racist and offensive shit and growing with that because they have no other knowledge on it actually is. That's disappointing and shameful.

Question: Where is the issue sourced at?

My Answer: If you ask me it's costume companies, stereotypes and the most common factor which is media. Like I stated before. There are kids and teens and adults learning things that are not necessarily true and basically racist/ offensive. It's a matter of miseducation that influences the offensive behavior and that's why it's a problem.

Question: What's appropriate to wear?

My Answer: I think whatever you like is appropriate so long as you're educated on what you are wearing and is not derogatory to others. I see no reason why a person from one culture can't express their love and appreciation of another culture by adopting their traditions. There is never anything wrong with finding something you love and wanting to be apart of it. That means I'm ok with the kimonos, war paint, bindi, piercings and shit even the big feathers but understand where these things are coming from and know the difference between what is offencive and what is cultural appreciation.

Question: In a relationship (preferably interracial) Should you have to get on your partner about what they wear in terms of cultural appropriation?

My Answer: Hell yes. If it offends you speak up. Educated them on why it's offensive. Show them what isn't offensive. Then after that's all said and done take time to really get into your culture with your partner and get into theirs too. Show them the customs let them adopt the traditions and support and enjoy your background. Simple.

Question: What do you think is best regarding this issue?

My Answer: Instead of cultural appropriation we should have cultural appreciation. We should be able to correctly educate others and ourselves on our backgrounds. Let the native things live on. Support and adopt traditions/ customs of other cultures. Find your place in this world even if your place isn't something you were born into. Culture and tradition is beautiful and should be shared. Don't make negative stereotypes. Celebrate who you are, celebrate who others are. Have fun and make peace and spread love. (And when people say stuff with the words love and peace in the same sentence don't call them a hippie). Also because the media is a grand factor of this whole miseducation let's get more people on this topic and also make a hashtag being #CulturalAppreciation not to offend people but to let them know that they are supported on this issue and that Culture should be respected. 

P.S: Telling someone they can't adopt a culture is modern day segregation!!! 

So what do you think?