Chapter Twenty. Heartbreak.

Creak.

I closed my eyes, hoping nobody heard me as I entered the hallway. I quietly made my way down the stairs, the dark surrounding me. Let's hope these wizards are heavy sleepers. My heart beat erratically in my chest as I silently dashed over to the door. My hand clasped around the handle, as I turned it ever so slightly. The quietest noise was made as I opened the door, and slid through it. I slowly closed it behind me, making my way outside. The cool breeze hit me as I looked around, nobody in sight. My eyes landed on Grey's car, making my way over to it. An overwhelming feeling of success settled in my stomach as my hand found the door, pulling it open.

"What do you think you're doing?"

I turned around as fast as I could, surprised to see the face of Julius. His brown hair looked black in the moonlight, his skin tone matching mine. He shot me a sneaky smile, closing Grey's car door.

"Nothing of your concern." I spat out, my eyes formed into slits as I looked at him. I tried to remain confident, but then remembered he could kill me without even blinking.

"Let me guess, you were going to try and find Jace and your brother, weren't you?"

I looked away, surprised how up to date he was on everything that was going on around here.

"Relax, girl. Grey sent Lis and Axel out looking for them. They're following their trail, you've got nothing to worry about." Julius put his hand on my shoulder, leading me inside. I couldn't put my finger on it, but something about his touch felt familiar. It wasn't hot, or exiting like Grey's touch, but it felt normal. Almost as if I had known him my whole life.
I shrugged it off as we made our way back up to the house.

"Can we not tell Grey about this?" I quickly looked up to Julius, my eyes pleading with him. He sent me back a reassuring smile as we walked inside.

"Sure thing, kiddo."

~

"Scarlett!"

I jumped, rolling over in my bed as Grey stormed into the room. I combed my hair over to one side as I gave him a sarcastic smile. All I wanted was to go back to sleep.

"Greyson?"

He shot me a glare, then waved it off as he ran a hand through his hair.

"You tried to escape last night? To find Jace?"
Grey snapped at me, pacing around the room. I made a mental note in my head to kill Julius, the boy can't keep his mouth shut. I'll bet any money the first thing he did was go straight to Grey. What an ass kisser.

"And Mason. You forget I have a brother."

Grey scoffed at me. I gave him a questioning look, as his expression changed drastically.

"Oh, and since I'm not being kidnapped by you anymore, I can go back to hating you again." My eyes formed into slits as I crossed my arms.

"Hating me? I've saved your life like 11 times."

My anger only grew as I stared him down. Was he forgetting what he did with her? Twice?

"You still kissed and had sex with someone else. And we're supposed to be soul mates. If Jace were my soul mate, he'd never do that to me." I mumbled the last part hoping he didn't hear me. But he did. Grey came face to face with me, tilting my chin up so we were eye level. His silver eyes looked as if they were about to burst from anger.

"Then what's stopping you from being with him?"

I almost slapped him at his response, what kind of question is that? I unfolded my arms, moving even closer to him. I was silently challenging him with my vengeful eyes.