Chapter Sixteen. The Belle of the Ball.

"You're gifted?"

Jace asked Erica, completely befuddled. I honestly wasn't surprised, she's pretty much capable of anything. Her lips curved into a malicious smile as she approached Jace. She trailed her fingers along his shoulders, as he flinched away from her in disgust. He caught her hand in his, clenching his hand around it. A flash of pain appeared in her eyes, but went away as quickly as it came. I wanted to smack that evil grin right off her face.

"Oh Jacie, I knew all along you were gifted. I'm surprised you never picked up on mine."

I practically puked in my mouth at that stupid nickname she still uses for Jace. I thought I'd never have to see her face again, lucky me.

"What do you want with Scarlett?"

Erica's eyes formed into slits as her gaze fell on me.

"I'm proposing a deal."

I looked over at Jace, as he continued to stare down Erica. I could tell he was caught completely off guard by this. Lis was lost, she has no idea who Erica is. I'll fill her in later.

"Which is?"

Jace was standing in front of me this whole time, protecting me from her. His fists were clenched at his sides as she smiled devilishly at him.

"You have your school, I have mine. I need to protect what's mine. You need to protect what's yours."

Jace shifted in place, as I turned so I could view his face. He looked as if he were following her every word.

"So what do you suggest?"

Eric let out a smile, flashing her perfectly white teeth.

"What do the humans call it? Oh, that's right. An alliance."

~

"And here I was thinking Erica was him. I thought she was secretly a guy, I don't know."

Jace through his head back in laughter, as he handed me a glass of champagne. I only gave him a funny look, as I shrugged it off. I wasn't about to start drinking today. Although, the thought of coming home to Grey made me want to. We did leave him unconscious on the floor, without a note.

"Well, she did fool me. She tried to get close to me all this time, to get to you. She wants to protect you, Scar. Who would've thought?"

Jace wore a sly smile on his face, almost proud of how the situation turned out. I still don't get how she fooled us this whole time. You'd think Jace and Grey would've known she had powers as well as them. And they say girls are oblivious.

"Not going to lie, an alliance is the best thing for us right now. It doubles our chances of protecting you."

I nodded at Jace, still lost in all his magic talk. My mind was still with Grey, I was so worried about him, I felt uneasy. I pushed those thoughts aside, and focused on Jace.

"And you trust her? Just like that?"

Jace flashed me his signature smile.

"I do. I know Erica very well, and she is right. Now, we are at a ball, Scar."

I gave him a questioning look, as he reached his hand out to me.

"Scarlett Evans, may I have this dance?"

I laughed, taking my hand in his. He led me out to the middle of the dance floor, his hands finding my waist. I placed my hands on his shoulders, feeling comfortable. Everything with Jace felt natural, it felt normal. But with Grey, every touch, every kiss opened up a whole new world of excitement and mystery. A world I didn't know if I was ready to face. The thought scared me.

"You seem.. carefree."

I laughed, motioning at Jace's behavior. He wore a big smile on his face as we danced to the exquisite music in the background.

"I am, Scar. We may not have killed him today, or even found him, but we have a bigger team now. We have a better chance."

I smiled, feeling positive for once. Jace had been nonstop stressing over all of this, and to see him like this, I started to have more faith. Even if I still don't have the slightest clue to who's after me. At this moment, I didn't care.
Jace linked my hand with his as I rested my head on his chest. For a moment, it almost felt like everything was going to work out. I felt as if I could have a normal life, again.

I lifted my head from Jace's chest, as my eyes fell on silver ones from a distance. My heart stopped at the sight of Grey. He was wearing the same outfit that we left him in, his hair still a mess, going in every direction. But what made me want to run into his arms, begging for his forgiveness, was his face. He looked heartbroken, he looked hurt. His look was quickly replaced by anger as he stormed over to Erica. The look of anger did not leave his face as he broke my heart in two with just one simple movement. He kissed her. Bile rose from my throat as I lost my breath. He knew what he was doing to me, he knew this would destroy me. I lost my balance as the world around me shattered, only causing me to feel one thing. Pain.

"Grey.."

My voice sounded weak, and shattered. As I stormed past him, not giving him a second glance. I could not bare to look at him with her. My heart couldn't take that twice. My eyes landed on the first exit, and I immediately rushed to it. I let out a deep breath as the cool air hit me, the outdoors greeting me. I immediately felt a warm hand on my shoulder, instantly recognizing who it was.

"Come here, Scar."

I let out a strangled cry as I fell into his chest, his arms wrapping around me. His arms rubbed my back as I let out all the emotions I've been holding in these past few days.

"I hate him."

Jace pulled away from me slightly, so I could see his eyes. They were filled with an emotion I could not read as he stared back at me.

"I hate him too."

I looked back at him, with a questioning look. I mean, Mason has done some pretty crappy things, but I could never hate him. He's still my brother.

"Why?"

Jace looked away from me, pulling me back into his arms. I let out a sigh, wiping the left over tears from my cheeks.

"Because, he's so stupid. He has you. If I had you, I wouldn't ever let you go. I'd claim you as mine the second I laid my eyes on you."

My mouth fell open at his words. The doors beside me broke open, causing me to jump out of Jace's arms. Grey came bolting forward, straight towards me. I did not move from my place as he practically sent me a death glare. I grew confused as he just stopped in front of me, not saying a word. In seconds, he bent down, and swung me over his shoulder. I pounded his back with my fists, as he dashed towards where his car was parked. He put me down once he reached his car, and I connected my hand with his cheek. Grey did not flinch as he stared down at me.

"You kissed her. You kissed her, and I'm your soul mate."

Grey didn't seem affected as I spat my words out at him. I gave him a slight shove, as he grabbed my wrists, stopping me.

"Like I give a fuck about your feelings."

I looked away from him, pretending to be unaffected by his actions. He caused a physical pain in my chest from kissing her.

"We may be soul mates, Grey. But I will never love you."