Chapter Twenty-Three. Family?

This is going to backfire. This is a terrible idea.

I pushed open Grey's door, holding my breath as I surveyed his room. Nervousness settled deep in my stomach as I approached his bed.

You shouldn't be doing this, Scarlett. Go back to sleep.

Memories of the day before flashed through me as I remembered Grey practically kicking me out of his life. I know it's only to protect me, but I can't stay away from him. Not after finally saying the words out loud that I actually love him. It was such a perfect moment, a moment that was quickly ruined by reality. Was this our fate? We are each other's soul mates, but are we meant to be? My heart skipped a beat at the thought. I pulled myself out of my thoughts as I sat gently on Grey's bed. He was lightly twitching, his eyebrows furrowing together in discomfort.

"No!"

His body suddenly jerked from the bed as he clung to the sheets. I wanted nothing more than to hold him in my arms, but fear held me back. Would I really die, if I touched him?

"Stop!" Grey let out a viscous growl as he thrashed around more in his sleep. I wished that I could take away his past, and give him the future he deserved. Sweat was trickling from his forehead, clear beads of it glistening along his body as he screamed out.

"Scarlett.." His voice held desperation as my name slipped from his mouth. My breathing picked up as my arms reached out to him, but fear held me back.

"Scarlett, I need you." He whispered in a plea as his voice longed for me.

Screw this.

I jumped up from where I was sitting, placing myself flush to Grey. My arms found his as I pulled him into me, his bare chest on mine. His arms instantly tightened around me, locking me into him. He rolled over so we were sitting up, as my fingers found his luxurious hair.

"I'm here, Grey."

He let out a deep breath as his lips found mine. He kissed me with such hunger and passion, making my entire body practically go limp in his arms. His hands ran up my shirt, instantly ripping it in two, throwing it to the floor. My body practically turned to jello as his lips found my neck, his hands roaming my bare skin. He held me to him, our naked chests flush against each other as euphoria ran up my body. I was practically on cloud nine, and I never wanted to leave this moment.

"No."

Grey's lust filled eyes turned into horror quickly as he realized what he was doing. He sprang up from the bed in a dash as I wrapped the sheets around myself. He looked away from me, his chest heaving up and down erratically.

"Scarlett, we can't do this. I can't risk it."

Frustration filled me as I looked deep into his eyes. The silver in them still glowed within the dark room, almost making me melt. I whisked those thoughts away, focusing on our current predicament.

"Grey, yes we can. You aren't going to hurt me, you know now. You can control it now, we can be together-"

"No, Scarlett! Don't you see? I could lose you. I could kill you! Nothing is worth risking it. I'm not going to lose you."

His voice broke, sending my heart to the floor. I held back tears, feeling a lump form in my throat.

"What good is having me if you can't touch me? If you can't be with me? I'd rather be dead than-"

His fist slammed into the wall, silencing me. His eyes were blazing silver, as anger ran through him.

"Don't. Don't you ever say that!"