Chapter Twenty-Four. Daddy Issues.

My feet slowly moved back, almost tripping on the roots of the trees shooting up from the ground. My father? All my life, I pictured him to be so different. I pictured an easy going guy, with a soft smile. This man standing before me only made me want to curl up into a ball and cry. His physique was overwhelming intimidating, his eyes almost evil. His smile was not one you would think of when you say the word dad, it held malice and suspicion.

"H-How? How do I even know you're telling the truth?"

He let out a deep laugh, causing a chill to run through me. I didn't feel in the slightest bit comfortable right now, as he just watched me.

"You'll find out in time, my dear."

Bile rose in my throat at his words. Something about him was off, I didn't feel a single connection to him.

"In time? What do you mean?"

Before I could blink, he was standing inches away from me. I flinched back as he grabbed my arm, clenching it tightly. I cried out in pain, as he practically squeezed the life out of my hand.

"You'll see me soon, my Scarlett."

"What do you-" The words seemed to slip from my mouth and fall to the ground as darkness surrounded me.

~

"Scar."

My eyes instantly shot open as I let out a scream, looking at my surroundings. Jace flinched back at my scream as he stared at me with wide eyes. No way. I'm in Grey's room? I observed my body, no injuries, nothing.

"Scarlett, what the hell? I was just trying to wake you up, you don't have to scream bloody murder. I practically pissed my pants!"

I ignored him as I looked around the room, everything was normal. How the hell is this happening? Was I dreaming? There's no way. That was too real. I heard loud footsteps stomp into into the room as my eyes landed on Grey. It took everything I had in me not to run into his arms.

"What happened? Why'd she scream?"

He had clear bags under his eyes, a clear layer of sweat over him as if he'd just been working out. His muscles had a noticeable pump, his skin flaring red.

"Grey. I saw him."

I barely spoke above a whisper, but they both heard exactly what I said. Grey's monotone expression turned into clear worry as he came closer to the bed. Jace was wearing the same expression on his face as his eyes were locked on me.

"You what?" Grey spat out, his eyes fuming.

"I went for a run, and he was there, in the woods. He told me he was my father, then grabbed me and I woke up here."

If looks could kill, I'd be dead within a second. Grey was looking at me like I had just committed a murder or something. He began pacing around the room, holding his hair in his hands.

"Scarlett, that's impossible. You've been sleeping in here all day. You haven't been out of any of our sights since Grey decided to take you on that unexpected road trip." Jace looked at me dead in the eyes, his hand on my shoulder.

So, what is he saying? That I'm crazy? I remember what happened, clear as day. I lt wasn't a dream. My mind couldn't conjure up a person I've never seen before in a dream. His face was not one I would forget, either.

"What are you saying?" I asked, my voice slowly filling with anger. I wasn't going to have him talk to me like I was some crazy child. I know what I saw.

"You had to have dreamt it. You're under a lot of stress, Scar. We just dropped a huge bomb on you, of course you'll be having nightmares about your father you never knew you had. I think you should just rest-"

I quickly slapped Jace's hand away, causing him to back away from me. His eyes widened at me as I only grew with frustration.

"No! You aren't even listening to me! I saw him."

Jace tried to put his hand on my shoulder again, but I only backed away from him.

"Get out! Go away, I don't want to speak to you if you're not going to listen and just think I'm crazy!"

Jace didn't have to be told twice that I needed space as he slowly exited the room. My eyes fell on Grey, who had been silent almost this whole time.

"If you're just gonna call me crazy too, I suggest you do the same."

He took a few steps forward, but this space between us made me feel like we were miles away from each other.

"I believe you."

I let out a breath of relief, the sudden need to run into his arms. Of course, the time we can't touch is when he's the most loving and supportive of me. Other times, he made it hard to want to be with him, but now, that's all I want.

"You really do?" I almost smiled at him. I was just thankful one person did, and I was surprised it wasn't Jace. Out of everyone, I'd think Jace would be the first to believe me, and Grey would be the last.

Without warning, Grey suddenly darted out of the room. My heart dropped, as I slumped over in his bed. Of course, he's just going to leave like he always does. Just as I was about to change into fresh clothes, Grey ran back into the room. He ran straight to me, placing an old picture next to me. I looked at the picture in my hands, my skin suddenly feeling cold at the eyes staring back at me.

"That's him. That's my father."

I saw Grey reach his hand to mine, but he quickly pulled away before we could touch.

"Yes, it is. You have to tell me exactly what he said to you, okay?"

I nodded quickly, my eyes on his as I raked through my mind.

"Grey, why is he after me? Is he only trying to find his long-lost daughter?" I joked, the smile not meeting my eyes. Grey's cold expression didn't change as he stared back at me.

"He wants to kill you, Scarlett. He wants to drain every ounce of power from you."

~