Chapter Twenty-Five. Uncovered Secrets.

"How did my mom ever meet our dad?"

Rayne and Julius turned to look at each other, hesitating to answer. I was ready to uncover everything now, no more secrets. I've learned to accept my life will never be what it was before, and that this is my life now. I should at least know the whole story.

"She was his mistress, you could say. He wasn't supposed to be with her, but he didn't care. We actually didn't know you existed until about a year ago." Rayne breathed out.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"So you're saying you wizards just found out about me? How? How did you even know I had this power?" My voice was filled with sarcasm as I said the word power, because that's not exactly what it is. Like Jace said, it sure feels more like a curse. Especially since my own soul mate won't even breath the same air as me at the moment.

"We actually aren't sure how you were discovered. Could've been that girl Erica, although it wouldn't make sense why she'd find you and never act on it. Word could've gotten out tons of ways. There's always been suspicion when it comes to our father." Julius said, his tone serious.

My mind was trying to put everything together, my head spinning.

"How do I know you two aren't secretly working for him?"

Julius let out a laugh as he looked over to his brother with humor in his eyes.

"If we were working for him, you'd already be dead. Rayne and I have been a slave to our father our whole lives. He's not a good guy, Scarlett. We want nothing but to kill him, and stop him once and for all."

My eyes widened as he said this. Kill his own father? I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to kill anyone, let alone my own blood.

"Why is he so hard to kill, and hard to find?"

"Our father is a smart man. He knows when a human and non-human procreate, the offspring they create is a gift to us, it's a curse. The curse that you have. All his life, all he's done is hunt down people like you and kill every single one of them, absorbing their power. He's killed countless like you, and as far as we know you're the last one. Right now, he's If he kill you, he'd be virtually indestructible."

My breath froze in my throat as Julius explained this. How strong is this guy?

"Why hasn't he just walked in and killed me? He obviously knows that I'm here."

Julius and Rayne both gave each other a knowing look, before their eyes fell back on me. I stared at them questioningly, motioning for them to speak.

"He likes the hunt just as much as the kill. He wants you to feel paranoid and scared at every move. He could potentially break in here and just take you, but he knows that'd start a war, and he'd have to kill almost all of us to get to you."

My throat closed at the thought of them dying for me. I could never live with that. My mind didn't even want to process how I would feel if Grey gave his life for me. I didn't doubt for a second he would.

"Did I really see him? Yesterday?"

"Scarlett," Julius breathed out, his eyes on mine. "He wasn't here. But he was here." He said, motioning a finger to my head. My eyebrows furrowed together as I gave him a confused look.

"He was in your head. You were sleeping, and he got into your thoughts and made you think that was a reality."

I felt myself begin to shake with fear. I can't even escape him in my dreams? These people can do that? That's beyond being a wizard...

"What? So he's not only like The Hulk, but he's Freddy Krueger too?"

The two boys gave me a weird look, as if they had no clue who either of them were. All of this was way too much. If he was as powerful as he says he is, I was already dead in my eyes.

"Well, how do we kill him? How do we find him?"

Julius began pacing around the room, as Rayne walked back over to me.

"You don't find him. He finds you. We're counting on that. All of us can die just like humans can, it's just our healing and strength that always saves us. We're faster, stronger, smarter. But we aren't invincible." Rayne explained to me, as I took everything in.

"How do we get rid of this curse I have? That way he can't drain anything from me?"

Julius' head shot up as he paced back over to us.

"Grey and Jace have been looking into it. As far as we know, there's never been a cure. But hey, nothing's impossible?"

My heart sunk as he said this. So basically, there's no cure. The more words that come out of their mouth, the more hopeless I feel.

"I need to go for a walk." I choked out, suddenly feeling like the room was closing in on me. They didn't object as I stormed out of the room. I walked straight to Grey's office, wanting nothing more than to simply be in the same room with him. Even his presence right now will make a world of difference. I didn't knock as I opened the door, finding him sorting through papers. His eyes darted up when he saw me, a small smile spreading across his face. My knees almost hit the floor at this.

"I was actually going to go find you."

I raised my eyebrows as he said this, trying to hide the wild smile creeping out onto my face.

"Come here." He motioned, as I grew even more surprised. I sat in the chair right across from him, careful not to get too close. My eyes widened as he reached for my hand, interlocking our fingers together. Shocks ran up my hand at his simple touch, and that familiar feeling of blazing happiness ran through me. Just his simple touch made me feel like I could breathe again.

"I've been working on control. Let's just start small like this, okay? I'd like to make you mine more than anything right now, but that still requires you to be alive."

Fire and excitement ran through me at his words. Make me his? I pushed those thoughts back down, not wanting to get too carried away. I could sense his nervousness as his hand remained in mine, watching my every move.

"How old were you?" I bravely asked, bringing us back to the night where he spilled his biggest secret to me.

"When I was 11, until the age of 17." He breathed out, his voice shaky. His hand clenched around mine as he said this, my heart falling to the floor. Rage burned deep within me at the thought of what he had to experience.

"Was she-"

"Gifted like us? Yes. She was also 20 years older than me. I didn't realize what was actually happening until I was 15. I thought it was normal, Scarlett."

I leaned in, but held myself back. I know he wouldn't let me touch him.

"I want to hold you more than anything right now." I cried out, feeling useless in this situation. There was nothing I could do. I wanted to take away his pain, take away those years from him, but I couldn't. I couldn't do anything.

"How did it stop?" I asked quickly, before we changed the subject. His grip on me loosened, as his eyes met mine.

"I killer her."

My mouth dropped open as I stared at him. He seemed, ashamed, of killing her. Every part of me understood why he did it. If she were still alive, this anger inside of me wants to kill her myself.

"Who was it?"

"Rayne and Julius' mother."

~