Chapter Three. Scarlett and Mason Evans.

"Scarlett? Why are you crying?"

I looked up to see the eyes of my mommy, and ran into her arms. School was hard. All the other kids had their own daddy's to make Father's Day cards, and I didn't even know what mine looked like.

"Why don't I have a daddy?"

My mom stroked my hair and kissed the top of my head as I cried into her arms. I heard her take a deep breath as she looked into my tear-filled eyes.

"Your dad left before Mason could even walk, and you were still in my tummy. He never had the chance to see what beautiful children you guys are."

I wiped my eyes, staring back up into the eyes of my mom.

"Are you ever going to leave me, mommy?"

She gasped and shook her head, pulling me back into her arms.

"Scarlett, I'm never going to leave you and Mason. Not until the day I die."

I smiled as I rested my head into her chest. She wasn't going to die for a long time, only when she is grey and wrinkly.

"I love you, mommy!"

"I love you more than anything, Scarlett."

~*~

"Scarlett?"

Silver eyes pulled me away from my thoughts, causing me to jump in my seat. Ever since Grey told me about his theory of my mom's passing, I had been lost in my thoughts.

"I'm getting my brother, and we're leaving."

Grey ran to me, enclosing his hand around mine. I ignored the shivers that ran up my arm, and looked away.

"No, you're not. I can help you guys, just listen to me."

I tore my gaze away from his silver eyes. He had an effect on me, but I had to ignore it. I still know nothing about him, or what he's capable of.

"I don't need you to protect me. We can protect ourselves. Why would you even want to protect me?"

He scoffed, then gave me a sly look. He took two steps closer to me, then leaned down so we were eye to eye.

"This isn't about you, or protecting you. You think I give two shits about you? I don't, but your brother does. So stop acting like a prissy little bitch, and listen to me."

I cowered under him at his words. He made me feel like some helpless little girl, I wasn't.

"I'm not gonna listen to a single word that comes out of your mouth."

I ran back up the stairs before Grey could respond, and tried to find his room. Shit, I'm going to get lost in this mansion. Relief washed through me as I walked through his open door, going straight to Mason. He stirred in place, his eyes slightly opening as he looked at me.

"Scarlett?"

His voice was rough, sounding painful to speak. I gave him a sympathetic look as I helped him up. He winced as his arm fell around me, and I guided him to the door. Grey was outside, leaning against the wall.

If only he weren't so damn attractive.

"You'll need me soon enough."