Worry and regret

“KEVIN!”

            I ran over to the ledge as fast as I could and got down so I could peer over it. The sight was terrible. Kevin’s motionless body lay on one of the rocks halfway down the cliff. There was blood around his legs and it scared me half to death.

I quickly took out my cell phone and dialed 911. It took me a few times because I was shaking so much.

“911 what’s your emergency?”

“My friend just fell off a cliff! Help please! Oh my God he’s bleeding please I need help! Oh my God!” I cried.

“Please calm down ma’am, where are you located?” The lady asked.

“I am not going to calm down! I don’t know exactly! Somewhere in the woods where there’s a cliff please!! I can’t lose him! He’s so amazing please he can’t be dead please!” I was screaming into the phone by now.

“We’re sending help over right now. Please flag down the helicopter when you see it and I’ll stay on the phone with you until they get there. Is he moving?” She asked.

I took a deep breath and peered over to the ledge at Kevin’s body. He was so still. “No, he’s not!” I cried.

            “And you say there’s blood? Anywhere near the head area?” She asked.

            “No just by his legs!” I replied.

            “Okay and how old is he? What’s his name?”

            I gave her all of the information she needed, and then some. I was bawling by now. My breathing was so uneven and my hands wouldn’t stop shaking. I needed Kevin to be okay. He was an amazing friend. I needed him. I couldn’t lose someone else.

            Just then the sound of a helicopter cut off my thoughts. I quickly stood up and waved my hands frantically and jumped up and down. They came towards me and stopped above the cliff. The doors opened and a guy attached to a harness was then released and guided down to Kevin. I watched as he lifted Kevin’s body and brought him back up. It all seemed so fast before they were off. The lady on the phone told me which hospital he was going to be taken to and I hung up.

            The next thing I knew I was sprinting through the woods. Jumping over branches and ducking for the high ones. I needed to get out of there and fast. While I was halfway through I grabbed my phone and called Johnny.

            “Hello?” He answered. He seemed perfectly fine, but he wasn’t going to be in a few seconds.

            “Kevin jumped! He jumped off a cliff and he’s on the way to the hospital! Meet me back at the house where’s Kyra?” I asked, still running.

            “What!? He jumped!? When? Why?” He was now frantic.

            “Johnny no time for that! Meet me at the house and call Kyra now!” I said and hung up right after that.

            I made my way out of the woods and kept sprinting. A life was on the line now, and I didn’t care about how I felt like I was going to pass out from my breathing being so short. I had to run past people walking on the sidewalks, all of them giving me confusing looks.

            I got to the house and the guy at the front let me in. Before I even reached the front door, Tom was making his way out. “Let’s go, Lylah! I got a call and it’s all over the news! Tell me which hospital when we get into the car.” He said, his voice was raspy as if he had been crying.