The boyfriend

I opened my window to get a feel for how the weather was going to be and felt a cool breeze fill my room. I quickly shut up and walked over to my dresser. I decided it was a pants and sweatshirt kind of day. I grabbed some skinny jeans, a plain purple shirt, and a white hoodie that had the Monster logo on it in pink. After I was dressed, I walked out of my room and into the living room. Kevin was waiting for me on the couch, and when I saw him I smiled in his direction.

                I was going to meet his boyfriend today. I was really excited and happy for Kevin. Tom was going to drive us to the bowling alley and then Kevin’s boyfriend was going to take us back. Tom was already waiting in the car, so Kevin and I linked arms and headed out. He got into the passenger’s seat and I sat in the back. We headed out and drove towards the bowling alley. It was only about ten minutes away and the whole ride was silent. Once we got there, Kevin and I got out, waved goodbye to Tom, and walked to the entrance.

                Kevin had told me his boyfriend was going to meet him at the front. I didn’t know what to expect, but when I saw him, he was absolutely gorgeous. His short blond hair perfectly complimented his bright blue eyes. He was wearing blue jeans and a black shirt that read ‘Sexy and I Know It’. His face lit up when he saw Kevin. He greeted him with a kiss and a hug, then turned towards me. “This is Lylah. And Lylah, this is my boyfriend, Will.” Kevin said.

                I smiled and stuck my hand out to shake. “Nice to meet you!” I said enthusiastically and shook his hand.

                “Nice to meet you, too!” Will replied.

                After the introductions we headed into the building and walked up to the front desk. Kevin insisted he pay for all of us, and when I tried to decline be quickly shook his head. “It’s okay, Lylah. You get next time though.” He said in a teasing voice and nudged me.

                I laughed and nodded. We told the man our shoe size and then waited for him to get our shoes. Once we were handed them, we found our bowling balls and went to the alley we were assigned to.

                The whole time playing Kevin and Will were flirting and acting all cutesy. I couldn’t help but smile at how they treated each other. Last night Kevin had told me that they had been dating for eight months. He loved him, and it was pretty obvious by the twinkle in his eye he got whenever he talked about him. He talked about how they planned to get an apartment together once they were both eighteen, and how they wanted to adopt someday. It made me happy that they were happy together.

                We played one game and Kevin ended up winning, Will in second, and me last. I sucked at bowling, but I didn’t really care. After we left the building we walked along the sidewalk. I watched as Will’s fingers slowly intertwined with Kevin’s. I smiled as I walked behind them and towards the café we were going to. It wasn’t that far so we were there in no time. We entered and the smell of sandwiches and soup filled my nose.

                I ordered Broccoli Cheddar Soup and sat down next to the two and the booth they picked out. I listened to their conversation about when they were going to hang out next and what they were going to do. I didn’t talk too much considering I was a little shy. I was always like that when I met new people, even if it was only one person. I told Kevin that, too. I wanted to make sure he didn’t think I was being rude or anything because I was barely talking. I was sure if I hung out with them again I would be more outgoing.

                After we finished our food Will drove us back to the house. We had hung out for about three hours before heading back home. I thought about the idea of ‘home’. I wasn’t too sure if I considered where I lived a home exactly, but it was getting there. Home is where you are surrounded by people you love, and I guess that’s how it was. My real home was my family, though. The ones I killed.