Unexpected reactions

As I exited my room I could hear yelling coming from down the hall. I walked a slowly and stopped at Kevin’s room. He sounded so distraught and angry.

            “So you’re leaving ME?! After cheating on me for three months, you’re leaving ME?!” I could hear the sobs in his voice and it crushed my heart.

            “I can’t believe you, Will! After everything I’ve done for you, and you do this? I was willing to forgive and forget, but obviously you don’t give a shit about me. Whatever.”

Just then I heard something hit the wall and I jumped. I was guessing it was Kevin’s phone, and it was probably now broken. I took a deep breath and lightly knocked on his door, hoping he’d answer it. My wishes were granted when the door swung open, revealing a messy haired, bloodshot eyed boy. I felt so bad, and I wanted to just take a magic wand and make everything better. I hugged him tightly and let him cry on my shoulder. “I’m so sorry, Kevin.” I said softly as I ran my hand through his hair.

He didn’t say anything, but after he was done crying he released the hug and looked at me, pain stricken. We stayed like that for a moment before he backed away and closed his door. I stood there not knowing what else to do. I wanted to go back in his room and keep him company but I didn’t think he’d want that.

            Sighing, I walked away and headed into the kitchen. There was food on the table but I didn’t feel like eating. I felt sick from what I had seen yesterday, and how Kevin was feeling. I turned around and walked out the front door, deciding to go to the one place Johnny had showed me. I needed to be alone.

            When I came to the clearing, Johnny was already there, sitting on one of the logs. I slowly walked up to him and sat down next to him, his face was buried in his hands. “Are you okay?” I asked him, concerned.

He shrugged and looked up at me. “I don’t know.” Was all he said.

“What’s wrong?”

He took a deep breath before speaking. “It’s my fault.” He said in a very hushed voice.

“What is?” I asked.

“That guy Will was kissing, that’s my co-worker. I was working one day when Will came in and I introduced him to my co-worker because we were talking. I didn’t know this would happen though.” He said and sighed, burying his face in his hands again.

“Johnny, it’s not your fault. You didn’t mean for this to happen.” I assured him and put my hand on his shoulder.

He sat there for a while, then eventually sat back up. “I guess you’re right, but I still feel bad.” He told me, and I nodded in understanding.

“Do you think we should go check on him?” I asked.

“Yeah, that might be a good idea.” He said.

We got up and started heading back to the house. When we got in, we made our way towards Kevin’s door.

“Johnny is that you?” It was Mrs. Bloom.

“Yeah.” He called out.

“Can you come help me with something please?” She asked.

Johnny motioned for me to go check on Kevin, and he started walking into the kitchen. I turned around and looked at Kevin’s door, then knocked. There was no answer, so I slowly turned the knob and opened his door. My eyes widened in shock when I saw what he was doing. “Kevin!” I quickly slammed the door shut and ran over to him, knocking the small table that had the lines of cocaine on it.