Chapter three

"Shitty," I scream as Ryder parks the bike at his driveway, I look at my driveway to find Connor's car there, my parents car was not. I hop off his bike and take off the helmet and quickly as I can, before I can run Ryder grabs my wrist. "Hey at least let me walk you home," he says and hops off his bike. I couldn't say no so I just nod and he takes off his helmet and we start off towards my house.

To no surprise, Connor was on my porch, probably drunk since it was 1 in the morning. I grab Ryder's hand for support but he pulls his hand away from me and I frown a bit. "That wasn't a date, we just had fun as friends, nothing more, don't get the wrong idea," he says, I don't think he knows about... "Aspen, where the hell have you been," Connor screams, obviously drunk because he's having trouble standing.

"Connor, I'm sorry baby, I went out with some friends and we lost track of time," I say rushing to his side to help him up, hoping he'll forgive me. Ryder just stands on the pathway to my porch, damn it. I thought he knew, I thought everyone in school knew.

"Ah, look who it is, the druggie," Connor says with his bloodshot eyes piercing Ryder, Ryder just starred right back not intimidated. Ryder takes the steps up to the porch and leans against the wood with his hands in his pockets and shrugs at me.

"Why were you with him," Connor asks through his gritted teeth, turning towards me. I go blank, why was I with him? To see fireworks? No. To eat? No. To have fun and let loose? Bingo.

"Connor, we are just friends and I went out to dinner with his friends and him, and then we went to see fireworks and I lost track of time I'm sorry," I say and hold my arms out for him to hug me, but that doesn't happen, I got the opposite reaction than I was expecting. He hit me, my whole left cheek burned with pain as I stumble back and hold my cheek. Tears rolled down my face and I didn't care about crying in front of them.

Ryder took action then, I couldn't watch, Ryder had the first punch to Connor's gut and it knocked the wind out of Connor. I turned my head and closed my eyes tightly, hearing grunts occasionally.

"Hey, it's okay, you can get up now, he left," I hear Ryder's deep voice says I turn around. Unbelievable, Ryder doesn't have a scratch on him, no blood, no bruises, Connor's never lost a fight. I look at Ryder in disbelief and pull my hand away from my face to put them on his to look for bruises.

"Aspen, let's get you inside and get ice on your bruise," Ryder says and lightly brushes his fingertips over my cheek and I flinch away. I bend down by the porch swing and find the key under the wood.

"You keep your key down there," Ryder asks and scrunches his nose making me giggle while I slide the key into the door and unlock it. I walk in and turn the lights on, "I'm gonna get something to drink, you want anything," I ask Ryder as he walks into my kitchen next to me. I go the cabinets and grab a glass out of the cabinet, when Ryder turns me around and grabs my waist and lifts me on the countertop in one swift motion.

"I hope you don't mind but that thing needs to heal and you need to put an ice pack on it, here," Ryder says and puts a cold bad of frozen peas on my cheek making me flinch. We sat like this for a while, me cross legged on the counter and him holding the ice pack on my cheek.

He broke the silence and says, "Why does he treat you like that?"

"I just make him mad," I say and shrug, it's the truth.

"Why do you let him treat you like that?"

"I dunno, he's always there for me and he's my boyfriend and I love him." I shrug again and push the ice pack off my face and pull my hair into a high ponytail.

"Oh, listen I gotta go before my mom starts to worry," he places the ice pack down on the counter and flips his hair before turning. In one swift motion I grab his wrist and say, "Stay here. Please. I'm scared."

"Aspen, look I know I'm like a sex god but you need to back off. You're coming on a little strong," he winks at me and leaves. It takes me a minute to process what he just said. He turned me down, he turned a girl that's scared. Ryder Johnson is making me think all my strategies about getting boys. He's just not that into me, we'll see about that.

I slowly make my way upstairs to my bathroom, I turn the shower on and look at my complexion in the mirror, I used to be strong and stand up to Connor. Now I'm afraid.

Flashback:

"Aspen get your cute ass over here," Connor says and motions me over to the football table during lunch. I make my way over to his table and cross my arms over my chest, I start tapping my foot impatiently on the tile floor.

"They don't believe me when I say that I banged you last night. Tell them I did," Connor says and grabs my ass.

"No you didn't you pig and get your hand off my butt before I chop your arm off, respect me like I'm an actual human being and I'll treat you like a gentlemen, but now I look at you and wanna puke my guts out, so excuse me while I go do that," I say and storm off into the bathroom to check my makeup.

*The next morning*

I texted Connor last night and told him it was over, my parents have an hour off before they go back to work. I walk lazily down the stairs to the smell of eggs and bacon. "Good morning sleepy head, it's almost 12 in the afternoon," my mom says with her auburn hair gets pushed behind her ear and places a plate of Sunny-Side up eggs and bacon my way.

"Tonight were getting off early to go to dinners to Daniela's next door, she has a son that goes to your school," my dad says as his blue eyes study a book.

"I'm not in the mood today guys, Connor and I broke up,"I say and push more hair into my face so my parents can't see the bruise while I gobble down my eggs.

"Well that's very inconsiderate of our family showing. She's a lovely lady and her family is probably just lovely," my mom says and places a hand on my dad's shoulder, "Why'd you guys break up?"

"Just some issues about our relationship. I'll be fine. I have to get ready for work or I'll be late." I grab a piece of bacon and rush upstairs. I grab my floral high waisted shorts, plain white sweater, black knee high socks, black combat boots, and my arrow necklace that hangs low. I throw it all on and curl my hair into loose waves. I put basically all my concealer on to cover up my bruise and the rest of my daily makeup on.

I grab my black purse and rush downstairs, "Mom, I'm taking your car to go to work," I yell and grab her keys.

I turn the engine on and buckle quickly to rush to work. I fast walk through the mall and into American Apparel, I find a Ryder Johnson in the middle of the mall surrounded by girls as he flashes them his signature smile.