Chapter Forty Four Jake

Hey guys, just wanted you to know that i was listening to the song Remember When by Alan Jackson while writing this and for some reason Wattpad isn't letting me put it on so i thought i would just let you know. Also, does anyone have an idea who the man Jake is talking to is? If you have an idea please put it in the comments.

"Baby, come on, wake up." Andy whispered. I watched as he intertwined their fingers together and rested his right hand on her upper arm. Raven opened her eyes but they shut themselves again. She took a deep breath in and opened her eyes. She turned her head looking until she found what she sought out for.

"Andy," She whispered.

Taking a step back I watched Andy smile as tears spilled over as he reached out to cup her cheek. She quickly covered his hand and smiled as her own tears fell. They were in their own circle at the moment and it was just the two of them and nobody else.

Lisa mumbled something and corralled us out back into the waiting room once more. Everybody was smiling; I even had one of my own.

Raven was awake.

I glanced at CC who was playing with Jace, swinging him on his shoulders as Lisa stood near and watched. Ashley was smiling at his phone and Jinxx was talking to someone on his phone.

Everyone was doing something but me.

I wasn't in the mood to sit down and be quiet; I've already done enough of that.

"I'm going to take a walk if you need me," I told Ash.

"You sure?"

I nodded my head, "Yeah I'll be fine." He stared at me before finally nodding his head letting me go. I walked down the hall and made a left to the front doors exiting the hospital. Squinting against the bright sun I started walking towards town to the park.

I ignored the stares and continued not stopping till I reached the bench that sat under the big tree that stood in the middle of the park. Leaning back I sighed and closed my eyes. I don't know how long I stayed there, but when I opened them, there was an old man sitting on the other side of the bench that I sat on.

Glancing around I noted that there was more people here than before. Kids were playing on the playground and families were sitting on blankets they put out over the grass with plates of food on them.

Sitting up I pulled my phone out and saw that I had spent an hour at the park.

"You by yourself son,"

Looking at the old man I realized that he was talking to me.

"No, my friends are at the hospital. I just, needed to get out of there," I breathed.

"What happened if you don't mind me asking?"

I shook my head, "It's a long story sir."

The old man smiled, "I got time," he held out his hand, "I'm James."

I stared at him but shook his hand, "Jake," and started talking, about everything.

***

"Well," James said once I finished talking. "That's a mighty big tangle you got there,"

I scuffed, "You got that right."

"Can I tell you something?" I nodded my head and looked at him.

James took off his cowboy hot and wiped his face before replacing the hat back on. He smiled as if he was remembering something.

"When I was your age, maybe younger, I was knew this girl. We were just friends and then one day everything changed for me. One day she was my best friend and the next she meant the entire world to me. I never felt that way about anyone before. It was something else I'll say.

"But, she was dating this guy Larry Finch, this guy cheated on every girl he was with so I knew it wouldn't last very long. But month after month they were still together and I was still the best friend. The one people only wanted to be friends with and nothing more."

"That must've sucked," I said.

"It did. I finally got the courage to tell her how I felt and she just said sorry."

"Sorry?" I questioned. James nodded his head.

"Yup, Larry had gotten the poor girl pregnant and was being sent to live with her grandma." He sighed and shook his head.

"What happened then?" I asked.

James smiled, "I got over it eventually. Then months went by and this new girl came to town, little thing from New York City. Most beautiful lady I ever laid my eyes on. We became friends and then one day I asked her to be my girl. And she said yes.

"After high school we got married and it's been that way ever since. We had our problems, especially with Larry a couple times, but each time we got through them together and that made our love stronger."

"That must've been nice," I said.

He nodded his head once more, "It was, every single day I got to wake up and have her be the first thing I saw was worth every dime I made."

"What happened to that girl that got pregnant?"

"Last I heard she was married and had a couple more, but I ranged her up one day and thanked her." I must have seemed confused because he continued.

"If she hadn't been with Larry and got pregnant and sent to live with her grandma, I might have been with her and wouldn't have married Willow, wouldn't have my kids and grandkids. It would all be different from the life I've grown to know and love.

"Sure you have feelings for Raven but, she loves Andy. She isn't your girl. It may not be now but, one day, you'll find her, you'll know you found your girl, your Willow." He sat there before getting up and turning to me.

"Love works in many funny different ways Jake, it can bring the greatest pleasures and the greatest sorrows, love is not just one but both, it cannot exist without the other. So Raven wasn't the one, all that means is that she's still out there somewhere wondering where her other half is just like you. If Andy can find his by just opening a janitor's closet and having a girl pass out into his arms, I think you can find yours."

"It was nice to meet you Jake and talk, but I do have to run so good day Jake."

"Bye James, and thank you," I said. His eyes smiled and walked away. As he passed the water fountain he patted the small white cross that stood next to it before leaving the park. Making sure he was gone I got up and went to the white cross. The pink bow was moving in the slight breeze. The flowers looked like little pink hearts and they stood out from the green and brown that seemed to be everywhere.

Willow Rebecca (White) Richman

September 14, 1940 - June 17, 2013

Loving wife, mother, grandmother and friend

Life is not fair and is made up of pleasure and sorrow

One does not exist without the other.

So make the most out of each and every day that passes.