Chapter Thirty Three Raven

Sighing I pushed my hair out of my eyes and continued to restock the magazine stand at the store I was working at. Ever since that night I couldn’t go back to my dad’s and admit defeat so I stayed at the hotel for longer than I intended to before I was able to catch a bus heading back to Texas.  I guess I just needed another change in my life.

            Hearing a grunt I turned around to see Lisa lifting a box that weighed probably more than she did.

            “You okay Lisa?” I asked. Lisa straightened up and nodded her head.

            “I’m not the one you should be asking if they’re okay Raven.” I rolled my eyes and folded up the cardboard box as I heard Lisa grumble.

            “Honey did I ever tell you the time about when my granddaddy went rampaging around town in a drunken mess?” She waved her hand and didn’t even let me answer. “It was back in the day when granddaddy and grandma were teenagers and granddaddy had went out with his buddies for a couple drinks while grandma and the other wives gossiped about who was with who and how tying cherry stems with you tongues was considered a sin even though my grandma could tie three at once.

            “Anyway I guess after a couple hours the men had come back and were as drunk as a skunk. For some reason granddaddy thought grandma had cheated on him with his best buddy Larry Finch even though grandma was never comfortable being alone with Larry Finch as he was known for hittin’ on married women. Well with granddaddy drunk he refused to listen to what she had to say and yelled at her and, and he smacked her. He ended up running outside and screaming at the top of his lungs saying the Larry Finch better start runnin’ cause he was messin’ with the wrong man.” Lisa stopped to catch her breath and waved her hand in the air as she started to giggle.

            “Well, he went running through the town and everyone went outside to see what Mr. James, my granddaddy, was fussing around about. Took all his buddies to bring him back to grandma’s place but the other wives took grandma to Sharlean’s place where she was going to stay and teach granddaddy a lesson. Grandma spent a week there and was miserable, just like you, and wanted to go back to her James Dean, which was her nickname for him. So she packed up her things and made the wives bring her back and when they saw each other, oh, grandma dropped her bags and ran to him and he caught her and swung her around. Grandma was crying and so wasn’t granddaddy. He couldn’t stop saying how much he loved her and kept on promising that he would never touch her like that ever again and how he would never have another drink again.”

            Lisa stopped stocking the shelf she was working on while talking and held the book she had in her hands to her chest as she got this look in her eyes, a look I knew so well as I used to look at Andy like that.

            “What happened after that?” I asked.

            Lisa smiled, “Grandma moved back in with him and they’ve been together since. And granddaddy hasn’t touched a single drop of the whiskey. Granddaddy loved her too much to let something so stupid as going out for a drink to ruin their life and grandma couldn’t stand to be away from him for as long as she was at Sharlean’s.”

            Folding up the last box I put it in the carriage and was about to leave when Lisa stopped me.

            “That kinda love is worth fighting for and running after ain’t it Raven.”

            Not turning around I clasped the locket that rested against my chest and closed my eyes. “Yeah, but what if you can’t run after it anymore?”

            Lisa was quiet but finally said, “Then it’s his turn to start the runnin’. But it’s worth the fight and the wait, it always is Raven.” Straitening I pushed the carriage and went to the back room where I could take my break and so nobody could see me cry.