Chapter 3 (Pic of Alexis)

Picture of Alexis, played by Anna Kendrick----->

~~~~~~~

   As I predicted, the meeting was rather boring, with the exception of Alexis who took it upon herself to join the dinner. Firstly, she made me move one chair over so that she could sit next to her ‘future husband’. Her words, not mine. Secondly, she spent the entire dinner leaning on Tristan, rubbing her hand up and down his arm. Thirdly, she was giggling like an idiotic school girl and I believe it was because of the many, and I mean two, glasses of wine she consumed before the waiter even brought out the appetizers. I rolled my eyes. The woman could not hold her liquor.

  Tristan, seeming to silently understand that Alexis was turning into a complete and utter embarrassment, drew the meeting to a close.

  “I will have Heaven call you to set up an appointment. By then I may have an answer to your financial problem,” Tristan said, his voice devoid of all emotion.

   Mr. Lanning nodded his head and turned to smile at me, ignoring the still giggling Alexis who was wiggling her fingers in fascination. “I look forward to that call, Miss Chambers.”

  I nodded my head, knowing full well that Tristan was watching the exchange. “Between tomorrow and Thursday, you should have your call.”

   Mr. Lanning looked at Tristan before taking his leave.

   “Heaven, why don’t you go and fetch my car for me?”

   I turned my head to look at Tristan, hoping my hearing had somewhat deceived me. I was flabbergasted. Fetch his car? I was his assistant, not his chauffeur. Tristan seemed have read my thoughts through my eyes because he narrowed his eyes at me as he pulled Alexis into his lap.

   “Go and get my car, Heaven,” he demanded as though he were talking to a four year old.

    I huffed, grabbed my clutch and stood up, narrowing my eyes at him before walking towards the stairs.  I knew why he wanted to get his car. I didn’t miss the lustful glances he was giving Alexis all night. Or when he ‘discreetly’ pulled her chair closer to his. That man was looking to get laid and he was using me to do it! The nerve of him!

   I was mad by the time I got to the entrance. I told the valet what car I wanted and he hurried away, understanding that I was upset and needed time to brood.

  Outside was extremely cold. I shivered, feeling the night air all the way to my bones. I was alone. The valet went to fetch the car. The doorman disappeared. It was just me on this lonely street.

  I sighed and rubbed my hands up and down my forearms. I could tell it was very late. I could feel the exhaustion of today creep into my eyes. I couldn’t wait to get home.

   “What is a beautiful butterfly like you doing on a street like this?” A voice said next to me.

   I turned my head and immediately stepped back as the person was invading my personal space. He was tall alright but not as tall as Tristan. His eyes were glazed over, he wore dirty clothes and he stank of cheap beer.

   “Nothing of your concern,” I said, slowly eying the man.

   He shot me a toothy smirk and stepped a little closer to me, causing me to step back into the wall. I gasped as my back hit the wall. I turned my head to the side. The man reeked of alcohol; I wanted to gag. He growled and gruffly pulled my face towards him, his eyes shining with a mixture of malice and lust. He pushed himself onto me and I could feel something poking me in my thigh. My eyes widened, making him arrogantly smirk.

   “Get off of me!” I exclaimed as I raised my hands to push him away.

   Drunkenly, he staggered back and I took the opportunity to walk around him. Before I could even make it a couple steps away from him, he roughly grabbed my wrist and yanked me back, making me stumble over the bottom of my dress and falling sideways into the wall. My head connected with the wall; I could feel blood dripping down the side of my face and I knew I would have a bruise tomorrow morning. That is, if I lasted till the morning.

   The head wound had me a little dazed and I must have slid down the wall because the malicious drunkard growled before yanking me up by my waist. Again, he pushed me against the wall, his hand groping me in places that I myself have never touched that way before.

   That seemed to have brought me out of my daze and with all the strength I could muster up, I once again pushed the man away from me, my palm connecting to his face.

  “Stay away from me!” I yelled, my heart racing in my chest.

   The man looked at me, completely unfazed by the slap I gave him and maliciously smiled at me. “I love it when women get feisty.”

   I whimpered as he took another step forward but before he could get any further, a cold voice made him stop a few inches shy of me.

  “I believe the lady said get away.”

   The man and I both turned to face the voice. My heart beat profusely in my chest, not in frightfulness but in happiness. He stood there, casually leaning against the wall, his hands buried deep in his pants pockets. He glanced at me once, his hazel eyes beginning to blaze with anger as he took in my head wound before looking at the man. Oh crap!

  Tristan was mad.