Chapter 29

Tristan

"Heaven is currently unavailable. Would you like to leave a message?" Damien said through the phone. I had no doubt in my mind that he was being sarcastic. I knew that he had hit her. I wanted nothing more than to choke him for it but I had to stifle my boiling anger and focus on the plan.

"Yeah, tell her this," I said.

Suddenly, the alarm blasted through the entire house. The French police sprung up from their positions and ran towards the house, weapons in hand.

I looked at Yasmine, her laptop in hand. "Good job," I said. I tossed the phone at Bryson. "Stay here and man the communications. Landon, let's go!"

Hadassah grabbed my hand. "Wait! I'm coming with you!"

Landon turned on his wife, his eyes blazing with anger. "Hell no! Stay here with Bryson and Yasmine."

"My sister is in here!" She said as she narrowed her eyes at my brother. "There is no way in hell I'm going to stay here and let you two be macho men and play Thor and Hulk! I know how to fight. I am going in there!"

"Well, if she's going, I'm going too," Yasmine stated, her eyes daring Bryson to object.

I did not have time for this. "Whatever, let's go," I said and dashed towards the house.

As soon as we realised that Damien and Alexis had taken Heaven to Paris, I called in a few favors with the police. They were skeptical at first but when I showed them the videos that Damien had so graciously sent me, they were suddenly getting on the bandwagon, calling the Parisian police. It ate at my soul that we had to wait two days to save Heaven. I wanted to storm the place to get her back but the police wanted to case the perimeter first and come up with a good, solid plan. Landon, Hadassah, Bryson, Yasmine and I sat in a van across the street from the chateau on the second day. The police had arrived in marked vans. I almost rolled my eyes. They might as well advertise their presence with a billboard. We sat in silence; our thoughts keeping us company till Damien had called my phone.

Chaos became the chateau's new best friend. Fights had broken out between the police and people all dressed in black. It seemed that Damien was expecting me to show up and had gathered an army of men and probably one or two women with weapons and explosives. We had entered Afghanistan.

Damien was on the last step of the huge staircase when the four of us entered the chateau. A backpack was strapped to his back. He was dressed in a black leather jacket, a white shirt, black jeans and red Chuck Taylors on his feet. The realisation hit me like a steam train. Damien was going to escape as the fight was ensuing. He smirked at me, catching onto my thoughts and winked at me before taking off the stairs and headed through a side door.

"Find Heaven!" I yelled at Hadassah and my sister. "Landon, come on!"

I took off through the door that Damien ran through. The door led to the kitchen. The place was neat and tidy with the newest kitchen appliances but I didn't care about the décor. A frosted glass door that led outside was wide open. Landon and I burst through it, entering what looked to be a maze in a big garden. I forgot about the garden and the maze. Cursing loudly, Landon and I plowed on.

Four foot tall brick walls held back the million flowers that surrounded Landon and I but that did not stop them from growing over the walls. I pushed an overgrown rose bush out of my face, my eyes daring everywhere as I looked for signs of Damien. A crunching sound rang through my ears and I turned to Landon, placing my fingers over my lips signalling him to be quiet. The sound echoed again to my right. I knew it was him, trying to hide. I sprinted through a passage, just in time too, to see Damien try to quietly sneak towards the end. If it were not for the dead, dried leaves on the stony ground, I would not have heard him as it seemed that this was the exit to the maze.