Chapter 16

Two whole months had passed since that fateful incident. True to his word, Hadassah and I had moved in with Tristan. It wasn't only the two of us; Tristan also demanded that Landon, Cherish and Yasmine move in as well. There were some arguments but everyone in the house realised that whatever Tristan Devareaux wants, Tristan Devareaux gets.

I was slowly recovering. I couldn't eat any solid foods thanks to my jaw and I also had to limit my speech. It was complete liquid foods for me and a bell, a white board and a marker if I needed to get anyone's attention. I was on bed rest for the first month because of my bruised ribs and I had to get help in bathing myself since I couldn't get my cast wet.

I felt like an old person in a nursing home. However, I was not going to go against the orders of the almighty Tristan Devareaux.

In the next month, I was able to eat solid foods seeing as how my jaw had had time to repair itself. Yasmine said that I had to take it one step at a time. My ribs were also getting better and I could sit up on the bed by myself without wincing or without any help from 'Nurse Hadassah'. The bandage on my sprained wrist was finally off. The cast on my broken wrist was off as well; the doctor said that it had time to repair itself but I was still getting some pain so he bandaged my wrist and gave 'Nurse Hadassah' instructions on how to properly put it on to protect my wrist.

Tristan had become distant lately. Landon told me he was working late a lot but I knew better. I did work for the man. I knew his business like the back of my hand. Tristan was clearly avoiding me.

Nightmares plagued me. That one dream where I was running through the forest and a replica of myself beating me till I was black and blue kept replaying in my mind over and over again. I would wake up in cold sweats and have heart palpitations and find Tristan next to me, keeping me from going insane. I slowly realised that this was the only time Tristan never avoided me. He would lie next to me and whisper in my ear until I fell asleep.

October was upon us. Autumn was in the New York air. People were getting ready for Halloween. This time of month used to be an enjoyable one for me but since that unfortunate mishap, I couldn't have cared less what time of year it was anymore.

Finally, I was back at work. Landon told me that the HR department sent Tristan assistants to take over while I was recovering but he went through them like a stack of cards. The longest one lasted three days. Landon found it rather hilarious that none of them could handle Tristan's brooding charms like I could.

Since Tristan was avoiding me except when necessary, I often found myself in the company of Bryson. I didn't tell him what had happened to me and I asked Yasmine not to but Bryson managed to keep me grounded. I loved it when he talked about Yasmine and how his eyes would light like a child's at Christmas. He was clearly infatuated with her. It also made me wonder if I was wasting my time with Tristan. His avoidance had to mean something.

It was the middle of October. Tristan was in a meeting. I was sitting at my desk and staring into space. All my work was completed and Tristan said that I was not needed for this meeting. My iPhone beeped, signalling that I had received a message. I took my phone out of my pocket and opened the message. A smile immediately erupted on my face.

Bryson had sent me a picture of him and Yasmine on a cruise ship. Yasmine was wearing Minnie Mouse ears and had the biggest smile on her face. Bryson had his arm around her shoulder and he was staring at Yasmine, love shining in his eyes.

The caption read: SHE SAID YES 2 BEING MY GF!!!! :)

Finally! I knew he had been itching to ask her to become his girlfriend. He had been trying to work up the nerve for a month now. He was going to take her on a cruise ship for lunch and then pop the question. I sent him back a message saying congrats and that I was happy for him.