Chapter 31

I sighed in contentment. This place was truly magical. Shimmering trees with golden fruit. Beautiful waterfalls with colored stones. Shiny green grass as soft a baby's bottom. Rainbows with a pot of glittering gold at the end. Furry animals that enjoyed their playground. Children and adults running around without a care.

This was the ultimate paradise.

"Heaven."

I turned. My eyes widened. She was beautiful with curly red hair and pretty violet eyes. A rounded face complimented by a button nose, freckled, rosy cheeks and luscious red lips. She was tall but her slender figure made her seem taller than she actually was. Dressed in a pale pink strapless dress, she looked amazing.

She smiled warmly at me. "Hello, Heaven. It is nice to finally meet you."

I was stunned by how familiar she looked. I had never seen this woman in my life but there was something about her that screamed familiarity.

"Do I know you?"

"He looks like me...except for the red hair and violet eyes," she said as her eyes glittered with love. "I'm Dominique Carmichael, Tristan's mother."

That statement hit like a ton of bricks. If you gave her brown hair and hazel eyes, she really would look like Tristan. Another thing also hit me. Dominique was dead. If I was standing here talking to her, then that meant I was dead as well.

"No, you are not dead. You're merely visiting me until it's time for you to go back."

I looked at Dominique. Could she read minds?

"No, I can't read minds either," she chuckled. "You wear your expressions on your sleeve."

Snorting, I turned my gaze away from her. My heart was fluttering nervously in my chest. Meeting your boyfriend's dead mother will do that to you. "Tristan barely knew when I'm angry."

Dominique sat down on the grass, patting the spot next to her as a gesture for me to follow her action. I did, almost sighing in pleasure. The grass felt amazingly soft and comfortable. I could sleep here forever.

"I'll admit, Heaven. My son is not the brightest tool in the shed when it comes to girls but I can see he loves you dearly. As do you."

Sadness attached itself to me like a spineless worm. "He's my everything. I love him so much it hurts but how can I move on? How can he accept me? Damien and his goon raped me, took all the sanity I had. I'm not the same girl I once was. I will never be that girl again. She's gone."

Dominique stared at me, her violet eyes glistening in the sun. "You know, Tristan was conceived through rape."

My eyes widened.

She was staring at the area where a child was riding a majestic black horse, a huge grin on the child's face. The horse neighed in happiness. "I thought Phillip loved me until he showed his true colors. A year into our dreadful marriage, he raped me one night when he was quite inebriated. He almost killed my baby when I told him I was pregnant. I did my best to shield Tristan from all the hate Phillip felt for his first wife Elizabeth."

I grabbed her hand and gave it a tight squeeze. "He misses you a lot. You were his best friend, his only friend."

"You have to fight to survive, Heaven," Dominique said as she turned to me. "Tristan needs you and you need him. The two of you will get through together. Let it go, Heaven, You have more responsibilities to worry about."

I cocked my head. "What responsibilities?" I asked, curious to her meaning.

Dominique simply smiled and stood up, pulling me up with her. "It's time for you to go."