Chapter 5

Tristan

I drove away from the restaurant, my knuckles turning completely pale as I held onto the steering wheel tightly. I had to get away. I needed to get away. Seeing Heaven scared as that douche bag of a man tried to violate her made me see red.

Stop it! Stop thinking about her! She is your assistant.

"Distract me," I growled.

I saw her from the corner of my eyes look at me, shock tattooed on her face.

"W-What?" Heaven nervously asked as she rubbed her hands up and down her thighs.

I took a calming breath. "Distract me before I turn the car around and go back to finish off that man."

She was silent for a while and I took the time to look at her discreetly. Blood was slowly trickling down the side of her pale face. Her usually bright green eyes were suddenly the colour of dead grass. Her once full pink lips were bland and dry. Her French braid had come undone and her raven black hair was wildly flowing down to her back. Her once gorgeous black dress was splattered with blood and caked with grime from the dirty wall. Even though she was mess, Heaven still looked beautiful.

"When I was five, my older sister made me believe that she was a werewolf," I heard Heaven say softly. "She kept telling me stories of how she was bitten by a werewolf and that she was going to turn me into one. I didn't believe her at first but one time she bit me and I freaked. Hadassah told me to stay away from the moonlight and don't come outside because the change would happen soon."

I was quite intrigued. "Did you go outside?" I could feel my anger dissipating the more I listened to Heaven talk.

She shook her head and chuckled. "No. I stayed in my room for an entire week. My parents had to drag me outside and convince me that Hadassah was just joking. I was so mad at her for that."

"Did you get her back?" I asked, sneaking a peek at Heaven. She sported a small mischievous smirk on her face and it made me wonder what she did to her sister.

"Of course I got her back! She got a lovely surprise in her bed when she went to sleep that night. A nice cocktail of mayonnaise, pee and mud. That was awesome!"

I tried to keep the smirk off my face but I could feel my lips twitching. My assistant was a little minx!

"Thank you, Mr. Devareaux, for what you did back there," she said softly.

My grip on the steering wheel tightened a bit more and I gritted my teeth as thoughts of what that man could have done to Heaven flashed through my mind.

"It's no matter," I replied in a tight voice.

A heavy silence enveloped the car as I made my way to our destination. Heaven seemed to be getting more nervous as the minutes rolled by. She kept fidgeting and playing with the ends of her hair, something I realised she often did when she was uncomfortable. For some reason, I enjoyed seeing her squirm. Heaven was the only woman who never made advances towards me and while I found little comfort in that, it also irked me.

I passed the road to her apartment and Heaven seemed to notice.

"You the passed the road to my house," Heaven said as she twisted her body to look back.

I nodded my head. "I know."

She huffed and ran a hand through her hair. "I know you know where I live. You have a terrible habit of making sure you know everything. Where are you taking me?"

I turned my head slightly to look at her as a smirk appeared on my lips. "I'm taking you get that wound looked at."

"Mr. Devareaux, I don't need a doctor!" She exclaimed as she looked at me. "I need a glass of wine, an ice pack and my bed. Take me home."

"I am taking you to get your glass of wine and your ice pack and a bed," I calmly said.

Her eyebrows scrunched in confusion and I couldn't help the stirring in my dress pants. I shook my head to get rid of those thoughts. She was too innocent for that.

"What hospital offers wine and at eleven at night?!"

"The one at my house," I stated; the tone in voice final.

There was complete silence. I slightly turned my head; Heaven was staring ahead with a flabbergasted expression. She seemed to be in a state of shock. I turned my eyes back to the road, glad to see that she finally understood that whatever I want, I get.

In no time at all, we made it to my house. Heaven gasped and her jaw dropped. House was a nice way of putting it. Actually, I lived in a mansion. While I sometimes reveled in my wealth, the mansion was most times a constant reminder of the loneliness that surrounded me.

It was Victorian style mansion painted in white. It was surrounded by four acres of land, with a stable right behind the mansion and vineyard in the far east corner. I pulled up in front of the house and my butler immediately opened the front door and rushed outside.

"Good night, Sir," Gerald said, his old grandfather voice making me slightly smile.

I nodded my head. "Gerald."

He looked at Heaven who slowly stepped out of the car, her eyes still plastered on the mansion.

"Gerald, take Heaven to my room and make sure she stays there. She's going to give you a lot of talk and try to be very stubborn but make sure she doesn't leave," I ordered as I whispered in his ear.

He nodded his head at me and stepped aside as I strode past him.

I had to make her stay. I needed to make her stay. I had to take care of her. I had to make sure that she was safe. If that meant that Gerald had to drag her kicking and screaming through my front door, then so be it. At least I knew she would be safe....but safe from whom? As I rushed up the stairs to my office, the heart wrenching realisation hit me.

Heaven Chambers was never going to be safe as long as she was around me.