Chapter 30

Tristan

I dropped the gun and ran towards Heaven. She was surrounded by Hadassah and Yasmine who were trying to put pressure on her wound. Her face was beginning to lose what little color she had left and her eyes had that starry gaze in them.

"Put more pressure on the wound," Yasmine yelled, her doctor skills kicking in. Her hands were soaked with Heaven's blood and she had a red streak on her cheek. Yasmine leaned over Heaven's body, placing her fingers in her neck to check her pulse.

"Damn, her pulse is getting slower by the minute!"

Dropping to my knees, I gathered her body into my lap. Her body temperature was dropping fast.

"Get the damn ambulance here!" I yelled.

Hadassah sprung up from her seat on the floor and complied with my wishes. I felt a hand on my cheek. Heaven was staring at me, her breathing shallow. Her yellow tank top was sopping wet with blood; she was losing too much blood much too quickly. I pressed my hand on her wound, putting pressure on it.

"I'll go find a towel in the kitchen. Keep pressure on the wound!" Yasmine ordered as she ran to the kitchen.

"It's okay," Heaven whispered, wincing from the pain the pressure of my hand on her wound had caused.

Tears crawled down my face. "Yeah, it's okay. You're finally safe. You're going to be okay."

She chuckled weakly. "Don't lie to me," she whispered. Even her voice sounded weak. "Tell me a story. I don't want to think about now. Tell me - tell me a story."

I brushed away a tendril of her hair away from her face. A light sheen of sweat coated her forehead. Her body shook with shiver and I brought her closer to my body to share my warmth. Police were rushing in and out of the house. Alexis was unconscious, sprawled out on the floor. Damien's body was still untouched. No one came near Heaven and I; it was like we were shielded. We were in our own world.

"Four years ago, I was in the market for an assistant. One that would do her job well and keep her flirting to a minimum. I had had enough of assistants who wore the shortest and tightest clothes they could find just to try and bed me." I cleared my throat. "I held interviews all week; not a single candidate lived up to my expectations. On the last day for interviews, just when I had given up hope, an angel stumbled into my office. At that time, I had no idea what a blessing she would be to me and my life. She was trying to put on her shoes as she rambled on about how sorry she was for being late." I chuckled at the memory. "I was about to tell her off as I had a well known hatred for lateness when she looked up. My heart stopped. The first thing I noticed was her sparkling green eyes. They were full of curiousness and excitement. Her raven black hair was pulled into a messy bun at the top of her head. Her tanned skin glowed; I could tell she was a mix of American and Spanish descent. She had a cute button nose and full, pink lips. She wasn't dressed to impress like the other candidates; she simply wore a cute white sheer top with ruffles on the neck line tucked into black pants and the red wedges she had been trying to put on. She was beautiful. Without even knowing her name, I instantly fell for her. Of course, I had to play it cool and be the hard, brooding employer that everyone knew me as but she managed to crack that façade just by standing in the room. I'm glad I hired her. I'm glad I hired you."

The smile that had graced my face disappeared when I looked to see Heaven's reaction to the memory of meeting her for the first time. Her head lolled against my shoulder, her eyes closed.

I started to panic. "Heaven!"

I placed my hand over her nose. She was barely breathing. Scrambling up with her in my arms, I dashed through the sea of police officers and headed through the front door.