86. You're A First Responder - Luke

Part 3/4

...
Requested by:
Doodle5sos
...

Just a friendly reminder that you cannot take anything from this book and put it in your own. That's plagiarism and stealing my work. No imagines, no lines, no chapters unless you ASK ME AND I SAY YES!

I really don't want to have to make this book private when it's finished 😭

Luke:
"Y/NNNNNN," you could hear Luke pouting through the phone. You sighed and rubbed your face.

"All of the whining in the world won't change my shift Luke," you reminded him for the fourth or fifth time. You lost count as your mind always seemed to wander when your heard Luke's voice's pitch raise up and his words draw out.

"But you can't work on your birthday! Birthdays are for celebration!" He sounded genuinely upset and you felt bad about it. You and Luke had spent all of your birthdays together for as long as you could remember. It was your "baby Hemmings bonding time" as Ben and Jack liked to call it. But your hours weren't as flexible as his, and you couldn't reschedule a patrol or just ignore a call. You had to protect and serve, that's what wearing the blue uniform was all about.

"I didn't used to have to work on my birthday," you corrected him gently, "but I have the weekend off so we can do something fun then."

"But your birthday isn't on the weekend," your words went right over Luke's head.

"I know, but I have the weekend off and not my birthday." Luke was really lucky that your days as a traffic cop explaining the rules of the road to angry people over and over had given you an immense reservoir of patience. Although, he was beginning to drain it rather quickly.

"Okay okay I get it," he said glumly.

Your heart sank a little at how upset Luke sounded. You really wanted to be able to continue the tradition and spend your birthday with him stuffing your face with cake and doing whatever you wanted to for a day. You used to really look forward to your birthday for exactly that reason when you were younger but people change, and sometimes traditions don't survive it.

"I'm sorry," you said quietly, "I wish I could get the day off, I really tried." And you had, you had spoken to your boss, to your boss' boss, and pretty much every coworker. Nobody could, or would, cover your shift. You were stuck working a double shift from six in the morning to ten at night. Probably the most miserable birthday you've ever had, not counting the time you had the flu.

"I know it's not your fault, and I'm glad you get to follow your dreams and be an officer I just wish that the hours were better," he chuckled dryly. He was trying to be upbeat but his tone dripped with disappointment.

"Luke, I-" you wanted to say something, anything to reassure him that you'd make it up to him and that it would all work out and be just as good. Even if you were lying.

"No no, it's okay, I'll see you Saturday Y/N," he cut you off as soon as he realized what you were going to say. He knew you too well.

"I'll be looking forward to it," you said honestly.

"Love you," he hummed.

"Love you too," as soon as the last syllable escaped your lips the line went dead. You knew why, Luke hated to cry while on the phone. It made him feel weak and small, you wished he had. You wanted to be there for him in some way.

You sighed and pulled your cellphone away from your face. It was already getting close to eleven, you thought briefly about going to go visit him, but you had to be up early. You bit down on your lip and slid your phone into your sweatpants pocket.