Part 1: Chapter 4: Competition

The following Monday we started to practice seriously.

Yes, we still sounded horrible, but it was in a way different. I could tell the girls were all playing seriously. They even played with enthusiastic smiles on their faces.

From then on, we made it a habit to meet up and practice after class hours. We weren't really picky where we though. We would practice anywhere; in was in the club room, music room, even on the rooftops if we have to. And, because we were all new to our instruments, we even practiced by ourselves at home.

We progressed at a steady pace, but at least we were improving. We sounded better little by little with every practice, making us one step closer to actually playing decently.

Even Atsushi, though not surprisingly, decided to coach us a bit with whatever rock wisdom he could think of. He would somehow find some time away from his club to meet us. But, I know very well that he's doing it for other reasons, especially since he's tutoring his special someone on the drums.

But, I can’t say that this band hasn't changed us since we started. Each of us did, in a way.

I, for one, noticed my old habits start to resurface. Music that I’ve have avoided and skipped on my iPod for quite some time actually became enjoyable to listen to again. I even sometimes ask Atsushi at times for some bands and songs he knows: both local and foreign.

Nowadays, I also tend to watch the music channels, visit the music store, practice alone in my room, even read rock band- related comics at the local bookstore.

But, enough about me, since I am not the only one who has changed

Mikka, for one, hated listening to rock music before. But ever since we started, she actually asks me and Atsushi for some good tracks and bands. At first we thought she was joking, but she was actually serious. Although, it seems she likes the handsome band members much more than their music, but I didn’t really care much. It’s good enough that she knows the world of rock and roll.

Ayumi as well, tends to stay longer at school. And at times when we don’t have practice, I could hear the distinctive drum beating echoing throughout the hallways. And whenever I do, I usually find Sakurai and Sushi-kun in the music room, practicing. And, although I have the urge to but in and tease, I just let them be. I don’t want the two to have some complications because of me. If Atsushi wants to date Ayumi, then fine by me.

Even I too, practice both at home and at times at work. I secretly sneak in my bass and quietly play during my break. It took me quite some time to get used to it, since my hands and fingers are used to how I used to play them with the guitar. But I’m getting the hang of it, more or less.

Even Shiino-san hums, sings, and dances nowadays. At first, she sang popular songs loudly in the halls, but nowadays she sang those catchy commercial and songs you see on TV, even those songs that play just before a show starts. Nowadays, I keep hearing her sing her favorite one- the “power rangers” opening theme song

But, now that you think about it, is she really practicing that way, or is she just being herself? Well, let’s just put her aside, and say that we’re all practicing and giving it our all.

And, even if we all have very different ways of practicing, I cannot deny the fact we're improving.

At times, I may tend to get lazy to practice. But whenever I would hear about their improvements like

"I finally got to keep up a beat!"

Or;

"I finally got that stupid b chord right!"