Chapter 2- Just a day at work

"Yu-yukari…Shiino?" Did I hear her right? Is she the Yukari Shiino I was looking for? Maybe my mind is still a bit foggy to hear her right.

"Y-yes…that’s my name…"

But, even if I ask her again, there’s no denying it. Is this really the person I almost got in trouble thinking about? To be honest, I’m a little disappointed, since she is nothing from what I imagined her to be.

I took a deep sigh. I’m just overreacting. I knew there was nothing special about her name. It was all just in my head.

"So, it’s your first day on the job, am I right?"

"Y-yes! My name’s Y-yukari-"

"Shiino, yes, you already told me." I unconsciously raised my voice. She got startled, so I tried to calm down a bit. She hasn’t done anything wrong, so I shouldn’t get mad at her.

"U-um….the door’s locked, so…"

"The door’s still locked?"

"Uh huh."

"Hasn’t anyone arrived yet?"

"When I got here…it was just me." The others mustn’t have arrived yet. I headed to the door, and turned the handle. It really was still locked.

"They’re late again…huh?" I mumbled softly to myself. Usually, the kitchen staff arrives earliest to set things up before everyone else arrives. But, there are those days when they come a little late, because of traffic and other stuff. This must be one of those days. Normally, only kitchen people have the keys to unlock the door, along with a few other full-timers.

But, thanks to the boss’s trust in me, I’m one of the few that has a spare key. I dug into my pocket, and pulled out the keys. I slipped the key into the hole, and unlocked the door.

I may have just met the girl, but I decided to put my trust in her. She may be suspicious, but she looked like she wouldn’t do any harm. Let’s just hope she’s telling the truth.

I slowly opened the door. The kitchen, or what we employee call "the back", was very dark, and only the lights from outside dimly light the place. I couldn’t see anything in the darkness. But, I could hear the noisy machine sounds coming from the abyss, making me startled a little.

This is why I hated being early. I calmed myself, as I reached for the light switch on my right. As I flicked it on, the lights started to flicker, and then slowly brighten up the entire restaurant.

I headed in first, and signaled the girl to follow. She followed fearfully into the restaurant

"Have you already got your uniform with you yet?" I ask her, as she walks up to me.

"Ah! Y-yeah. The boss gave them to me the other day, and he also told me to bring my own pair of jogging pants," she said to me, as she pulled out her uniform out of her bag, and showed it to me.

Our uniform was anything from fancy. It’s just a simple Jinbei, blue for the boys, and pink for the girls, with the name of the restaurant embroided on the right side.

"Well, you better get changed, since I need you to help me set up the place before the others arrives," she nodded, and did what I told her.

As I watched her go into the dressing room, I took of my bag.

"If I brought my clothes today, means I will be working today," I said to myself, as I slowly opened my bag. I hoped I didn’t bring it today, but sadly I did.

Inside my bag, was my uniform, folded neatly in between my history book? I must have forgotten to remove it the other day. I guess I’m working tonight. I let out a sigh.