(7) The bad girl falling for a bad boy?

Chapter 7

Ivy's POV

'It's been a while, Ivory. You probably missed me; I know you did. Don't worry, love, I'll be seeing you soon. Did you actually think you and your new boyfriend could get away with it? That I would give up so easily? I told you once, and I'll tell you again. I will get you back.'

The words kept playing in my head. Michael was reading the letter with a growing expression of rage. "This is from Steven, I'm guessing?"

I nodded. "We have to take it to the police."

"Like they'll do shit."

"If we don't bring it in and they arrest Steven, it'll make him look better. Let's just eat lunch, and then we'll go to the police station."

We were both silent as I cut up the tomatoes, lettuce, and onions. I put everything on the table and Michael asked, "Was he ever like this before? Controlling or abusive?"

"He hit me once while we were together and, yeah, he was extremely controlling."

Michael banged his fist on the table, making me jump. "Sorry. Just when things are going well, this asshole has to ruin it."

I went behind his chair and rubbed his shoulders, just like I always did when he got upset. "This won't change anything between us, okay? I promise."

"Why'd you stay with him if he was like that?"

I shrugged even though he couldn't see me. "We were friends for a long time before we went out. He only became that way after we got together."

His shoulders started relaxing. "Damn it, Ivy, you're making it hard for me to stay pissed."

I laughed. "Good."

After we ate and cleaned up, we got into Michael's car and drove to the police station. I told him to go to the one in my neighborhood since I had friends there who were more likely to take us seriously. Ben was already waiting for us since I had called him ahead of time. He laughed, "Braids?"

"Shut up," I told him, and handed him the letter.

Ben read it with his lips in a tight line and a grim look on his face. "Steven?"

"Yup."

He rubbed a hand on his forehead. "I'll make a report and have someone check for fingerprints, but I doubt there will be any on it. I'm sorry, but unless we find evidence that he sent this, we can't take him in. The most you can do at this point is get a restraining order."

That got me depressed, but I kinda saw it coming. Michael answered for me, "It's fine. Thanks for your help." He put his arm around me and walked me back to the car. "It'll be okay," he said low in my ear.

"Can I stay at your house for a while? I'm kinda shook up."

"Of course; stay as long as you want. Wanna invite our friends over and have a party?" That brought a small smile to my face; he knew me so well. I definitely needed a distraction.

"That'd be great," I said, and kissed him.

He laughed and said, "You have taco breath."

"So do you! And at least my tacos taste good. Let's stop at my place so I can get some clothes."

He nodded and we turned the corner to my place. We pulled up in front of the building and Michael said, "You stay here; I'll get your things."

"Things? No, more like thongs. I'm coming in with you."