(15) The bad girl falling for a bad boy?

Chapter 15

Ivy's POV

                I went in Michael's bathroom, took a towel, and put it to my face to muffle my sobs.  Whatever reaction I'd been expecting from Michael, that definitely hadn't been it.  I really was just a heartless slut, wasn't I?  But I didn't want this baby!  I wanted to live my own life.  This whole situation made me realize exactly how much I'd intended to do with it.

                But the look in Michael's eyes…  Another series of sobs racked my body, and I slid down to the floor, pulling my knees to my chest.  I couldn't believe I was going to lose him over this.  Hell, I'd thought he'd leave me if I kept the baby.  Go figure, it was the other way around.

                After about a half-hour of nothing but crying, I washed my face, blew my nose, and tried to figure out what I was going to do.  There was no way in hell I was going to stay at Michael's house any longer.  My only choice was to call one of my friends and ask them if I could stay for a while, and I didn't want to do that.

                It wasn't that I thought they'd say no—in fact, I knew they would welcome me in easily—I was just tired of going from house to house like some little kid in need of a home.  My pride was already badly bruised, and I didn't think it could handle any more.

                Sullenly, I pulled my suitcase out from under Michael's bed and filled it with my clothes, toothbrush, etc.  I didn't know what he'd do if he saw me leaving.  Maybe he'd ignore me, maybe he'd yell at me some more about "killing our baby," maybe he'd try to apologize…  I didn't know and I didn't care.  I was leaving, and there wasn't a damn thing he could do about it.

                To be safe, I waited until it got a little bit later before calling a cab and going downstairs with my suitcase.  Thankfully, Michael was asleep on the couch.  He was a pretty heavy sleeper, so I didn't worry too much as I walked past the couch and went out the front door.

                A few minutes later, the taxi pulled up.  I got in gave the cab driver the address to my apartment building.  He gave me a worried look in the rear-view mirror.  "Lady, why you wanna be goin' there?  It's suicide, 'specially at night."

                "If you're worried, I get it.  I can just call someone else."

                He turned around and gave me a bleak look.  I was kind of surprised at how young he was.  This guy looked like he'd barely finished high school.  "I ain't worried 'bout me, chicka.  Look, I'll drive you, but you sure you know what you're doin'?"

                I smiled.  It was sweet of him to be worried like that about a stranger.  He reminded me a lot of Jake, who was my favorite of Michael's friends.  "Yeah, I live there.  Everyone's scared of my landlord, so I'm safe."

                He sighed and started to drive.  "A'ight.  A girl like you shouldn't be livin' there, though.  Bad things happen to pretty girls in that place."

                "How old are you?" I asked.  "If you don't mind me asking."

                "Nah, I get asked that a lot.  I'm eighteen."

                My eyes widened slightly.  "You don't seem eighteen.  I mean, you look very young, but you act more mature."

                He shrugged.  "Yeah, I get that a lot.  What can I say?  My parents raised me right."