XVIII

"Do you have everything you need?" Kristen asked both her girls, who were waiting for Lindsey to arrive. 

"Yes, for the hundredth time yes, Mom." Leelee nodded and so did Stella. 

"You can call me whenever. If you want to come home tonight, don't bother your father and call me, don't hesitate."

"We're not coming home tonight." Leelee said, walking over to where her mother was, she sat down. "I understand why you're like this, but it's fine, Mom. We'll be spending the weekend with Dad and Stevie. We know her. It's not like we're meeting someone completely new."

Sighing, Kristen forced a smile. That was the exact reason why she was so worried. Both her girls adored Stevie and clearly, she was going to be a bigger part of their life now than ever before and it made Kristen nervous. All sorts of what ifs made her head swim. What if Leelee and Stella decided they wanted to live with their father?

"Daddy's here!" Stella announced, who was sitting by the window since the moment Lindsey called about and hour earlier. 

Lindsey wasn't sure if he should come in or not, hesitantly getting out of his car. Thankfully, after saying goodbye to Kristen, the two girls came through the front door, running into their father's open arms.

"Oh, I've missed you two so much!" Lindsey said, hugging them tightly. 

"We missed you, too, Dad." Leelee smiled, clinging onto him, she had always been a Daddy's girl.

"Yeah, we missed you!" Stella echoed, turning her head to look at the passenger's seat. "Where's Stevie?"

"She's waiting for us at home. She wanted to make sure dinner was ready once we get there." Lindsey explained, catching Kristen in the doorway. "Why don't you get in the car? I'll be right back."

"They sure are excited for the weekend." Kristen said, when Lindsey approached her. 

"I'm glad. So..." He trailed off, unsure how to go on about this. "I'll bring them back Sunday afternoon?"

"Sure, okay." Kristen nodded. "I'll be waiting."

"Then see you Sunday." Lindsey gave a single nod and headed back to his car, climbing inside.

This was certainly going to be an adjustment.

For different reasons, Stevie was nervous as well. Yes, she knew Lindsey's kids and she hoped they liked her, but things changed. She wasn't Aunt Stevie anymore. Probably in a few short months, she was going to be Daddy's new wife and a stepmother to his children. She really hated the term. She would rather just be Stevie to them.

"Steph?" Lindsey called out her name, entering the house. "Babe, we're here." He said, without really thinking about it. 

"Hey." Stevie appeared in the hallway a moment later, smiling. "I'm so happy you're here." She came closer to the girls, opening her arms, instantly feeling relieved when both Leelee and Stella hugged her without hesitation. "Your father's going to show you to your rooms, while I serve dinner. Make yourselves at home."

Following his daughters up the stairs, Lindsey then showed the girls, where they would be staying every time they came to spend time with him. "Stevie redecorated both rooms especially for you." He said. "She really wants you to like her and treat her like you always have, with great love."

"I love Stevie." Stella said right away, starting to unpack her bag. 

"I hate that she's obviously extremely nervous to have us here." Leelee spoke up. "We know why you and Mom aren't together anymore, we know it's not Stevie's fault."

"And we're going to talk about it later." Lindsey nodded, adding. "She just needs some reassurance."

Coming back downstairs, Lindsey took the girls to the dining room, which was only set for four people. They sat down to eat, making small talk through dinner. It wasn't too awkward, as Stevie asked Leelee and Stella about school and their horses, both girls happily telling her about their favorite hobby, that way uncomfortable silence being avoided.

"I'll help you clean up." Leelee said after dinner, but Stevie just waved it off.

"It's alright. I'll do it later. Does anyone want a cup of tea?" Stevie asked, only getting a positive answer from Lindsey. She went to the kitchen and he followed after her, telling the girls to go to the family room.

"Breathe, Steph." Lindsey chuckled, coming up behind her, wrapping his arms around her. "You're doing fine, baby."

"Am I?" She asked, turning in his arms and hugging him. "This is different, Linds. I have a whole new role in their life."

"And they still adore you, Stevie." Giving her a kiss, Lindsey pulled back slightly. "They know why Kristen and I separated, no one is blaming you." Placing his hands on the sides of her face, Lindsey kissed her again. "Come back to us shortly." He said and left her alone, while she made the tea.

Walking into the family room, Stevie took a seat beside Lindsey, whose arm wrapped around her shoulders and he pulled her a little closer. 

"It's a bit weird." Leelee said. "Not bad weird, but... weird." She chuckled, causing Stevie's heartbeat to speed up. "I'm not used to seeing you two like this."

"How does that make up feel?" Stevie asked. "I know it sounds cliche, but I want to know."

"I'm sure it will take some getting used to, but..." Leelee shrugged. "All I want is to see my Dad happy and I know that you make him happy. That's really all that matters to me."

"I just want you to know that I would never try and replace your mother. She's the one and only for you. I'm with your father and I understand my boundaries, when it comes to you." Stevie said, to which Leelee shook her head.

"We don't see you any different, Stevie. There doesn't have to be any boundaries. Of course it's upsetting that our parents aren't together anymore and I've cried about it a few times, I know Stella has too, Will deals with it his own way, but we still love you."

"You do?" Stevie asked, biting on her lip, as she felt her eyes well up with tears. 

"Of course." Leelee nodded, smiling.

"We love you, Stevie." Stella sat down next to Stevie and wrapped her arms around her middle. 

"Oh, sweet girl... I love you, too." She hugged the younger of the two sisters back. "I also want you to know that you can still come to me with everything. I'll always be there for you, nothing will change that. I don't have children of my own, but you're as close to having them as I'll ever get, so... Don't be afraid to talk to me, okay? Can we agree on that?"

"I think, we can." Leelee smiled, saying, and Stella gave a nod of her head. 

Later that same night, when the girls were already in bed in their beautifully decorated rooms, Stevie was in her bathroom, getting ready for bed as well. She had already changed into her nightgown, currently brushing her teeth. Lindsey came in and stood, leaning against the doorway, just watching her.

"You're creeping me out." Stevie said, rinsing her mouth.

Laughing, he closed the gap between them, pulling her into his arms. "Do you have any idea just how much I love you, Stephanie Nicks?"

"Oh, God... Stephanie? This is serious." She joked, seeing Lindsey roll his eyes.

"Yes, it was serious until you opened your big mouth." Stevie faked a gasp, placing a hand over her chest. "And you've always said you're a bad actress."

"I have my moments." She smiled, lifting her arms up and wrapping them around his neck. "I feel so relieved."

"I told you, you had nothing to worry about." Lindsey shrugged, gently swaying with her on the spot.

"Say, what about you show me how much you love me, mm, stud?" Stevie's voice suddenly turned seductive as she cocked her head to one side.

Lindsey's hands moved lower down her back, grabbing her butt with both hands, pressing her against himself firmly. "Are you sure you're ready for me?"

"Oh, it will be my pleasure to get ready for you..." She winked, as she took him by the hand and led them to their bed...