VIII

Lindsey had been living in a condo he rented for over a week now. He left his once family home with the absolute necessities and he hadn't returned yet for the rest of his things. There was that impending talk he and Kristen had to have with their children, so he would be going back to the house anyway, he didn't want to make an extra trip. It wasn't because he didn't have the time to do it, he just... he didn't want to walk in there more times than he had to.

Most importantly, Lindsey had to see Stevie, yet he couldn't. He came close to pulling into her driveway several times, but he couldn't actually do it. He was scared, he admitted it to himself. He wanted to be with Stevie, he had always wanted that, but he was terrified they were going to fail. The fact she didn't reach out to him either, made him think that she had changed her mind. They fought before, but they never stopped caring about each other. Although, this was no regular argument over some song. This was their life.

The doorbell brought him out of his thoughts, as Lindsey lazily got up from the couch, he'd been lying on for hours. He wondered who it could be, since not too many people knew what was going on. His first guess was Mick, but opening the door, Lindsey was face to face with Christine.

"Hello." Lindsey said, holding onto the door handle.

"We're not doing this out here, Buckingham." Chris glared at him and pushed past Lindsey inside his new, yet hopefully temporary home.

Frowning, Lindsey shut the door, his thoughts instantly settling on Stevie. "What's going on? Is she okay?"

Christine smiled weakly, taking a seat. "See, you two have this incredible connection between you. If only you weren't so stubborn."

"Chris, please." Lindsey sighed, walking around the room aimlessly. 

"I went to see how Stevie's doing earlier today." She began. "She's not herself, Lindsey. She looks like Stevie, but she's not. She's somewhere so far away... I was talking to her, looking her in the eyes, but I knew she wasn't seeing me. I doubt she was listening to me. You should go to her. I know you just separated from Kristen, but... Stevie needs you. She might say differently, but she does."

Crossing his arms over his chest, Lindsey stopped by the window, looking at the city below him. "I can't. I want to, Chris, but I just can't. Things are bad between us as it is. What if I make promises, what if we get back together and it doesn't work out? Her heart will be broken once again and then... then she will really refuse to see me ever again." Shaking his head, he ran a hand through his unruly curls. 

"That's why you must keep the promises you make."

"It's not that easy, you know how we get."

Christine scoffed, staring at him. "Are you fucking kidding me, Buckingham? We're talking about the woman you have been in love with your whole life. I hate to sound cliche, but you're soulmates. You're divorcing Kristen, that's over and you're not going to go to Stevie, because you're afraid? Turns out, every time I called you a coward, I was right."

"Did you come here to make me feel worse than I already do?" Lindsey was getting frustrated, yet he tried to keep his emotions in check.

"No, I came here to tell you that you should put your big boy pants on and do the right damn thing!"

"Chr-"

"Shut up, Lindsey. You're the only one, who loves the sound of your voice, when you speak. Now is not the time to talk - act. Fight for her." She emphasized every word.

Slumping down in the armchair, he leaned forward, bringing his hands up to his face, rubbing at his tired eyes. "What am I supposed to do?"

"Just go to her." Christine replied simply. "And do it fast."

That caught his attention, as Lindsey lifted his head up, looking at Christine. "What do you mean by that?"

"Well... When I went to see her, Karen was packing a suitcase for her."

"Excuse me?" He frowned. "What for? Where is she going?"

"She didn't tell me, I don't think she wanted me to know. Or anyone else for that matter."

"Do you know when she's leaving?" Lindsey's heartbeat picked up pace, as he nervously bit into his lower lip.

"No." Christine shook her head, looking at him as if wanting to apologize. "All Stevie said, was that she was leaving tonight."

"Tonight? Tonight when?"

"Lindsey, I don't know! I'm sorry, but I don't. She was very vague about it. She didn't say where, when or for how long."

Letting out a heavy breath, Lindsey stared at nothing in particular in front of him. "I've got to go."

"Yes, you do." Chris nodded, the small smile returning to her face. "Maybe you'll still catch her."

It was unusual for Lindsey, but he got emotional, his eyes welling up with tears, as he looked at Christine, saying. "Thank you."

Shortly, Lindsey was leaving his condo and marching to his car. Climbing in, he wasted no time starting the engine and speeding off to Stevie's. He was driving way over the limit, but that didn't matter to him at all. He just wanted to get to her in time.

As soon as Lindsey arrived, he had that sinking feeling, seeing all of the lights were out. Karen's car wasn't in the driveway either. Despite the obvious signs, Lindsey got out of his car and went to the front door, ringing the bell, knocking and trying the bell once again. She's gone..., he said to himself. Maybe she didn't leave? Maybe she changed her mind and she just didn't hear the bell?

Searching for the key in the pocket inside his leather jacket, Lindsey took it out and slid it in the lock. It felt empty, when Lindsey entered the house. Sighing, he shook his head, telling himself he should have done this sooner. 

Lindsey decided to check anyway, just to make sure. Once it was clear the first floor was empty, he jogged up the stairs and went to her bedroom, finding the door open. He swallowed uneasily, stepping inside the room. Approaching the bed, he saw something on the pillow. A note. Did she... did she know I'd come looking for her?

With a shaking hand, Lindsey picked the note up, which simply said...

I guess, you made your choice