XV

"Why are you awake so early in the morning?" Lindsey asked, his voice groggy, eyes still closed. 

"How do you know it's early?" Stevie questioned him, her fingertips softly brushing over his hand, placed on her middle.

"Because either you sleep til noon or wake up too early, when something's bothering you and you can't sleep." 

Stevie smiled, he knows me well. "Nothing is bothering me, just... I'm thinking about yesterday. We've changed or at least we're trying to change. For each other. Never have we ever before resolved anything so quickly."

"That might be because we realize we're running out of time."

"Don't say that, Lindsey. I don't want to think of dying first thing in the morning."

"But you can't say that I'm wrong. We've wasted enough time, which we could have spent together. Also, both of us understand that if we don't try to change, we'll not get anywhere. As unfortunate as it is, it's true that love isn't enough."

"No, I guess it isn't." Stevie sighed, snuggling back into Lindsey a tad bit closer. "I slept so well." She said, not wanting to dwell on something so heavy.

"Yeah? Why'd you reckon that is?" 

Stevie could almost hear him smirking. "Yes, Lindsey, it's because you were with me. I've missed being wrapped up in your arms through the night."

"I would be more than happy to service you every night."

"Service me?" Stevie laughed. "So, how much do I owe you for the night?"

"First one is free of charge." Lindsey played along, his face still buried in her hair, since he hadn't moved yet. "Then it depends on what kind of service you wish for exactly..." His voice had suddenly deepened, Stevie's heart beating a little faster.

"What do you offer?" She turned her head, looking at him over her shoulder. 

"Mm... A very wide variety of choice." His hand moved lower, resting on her hip. "It depends on your personal taste." A moan escaped her, hearing that. 

"Kiss me." The tone of her voice came out demanding, as she turned on her other side, the two of them now lying chest to chest. "I miss you."

Lindsey's hand disappeared into her hair, messing it up more than it was after sleep. Leaning in closer, he captured her lips softly, causing her eyes to shut, as she reached for him as well. The kiss quickly grew to be more heated and forceful. 

Pushing at his shoulders, Stevie made Lindsey lay flat on his back, as she straddled him, kissing him again. She reached the hem of his T-shirt and pulled it up, then took it off completely with a bit of help from him. Lindsey hadn't really had a chance to get undressed the night before, since comforting Stevie was more important to him, getting into bed fully clothed. 

"Are you sure you want this?" Lindsey asked, breaking their lips apart. "We agreed not to rush."

She was never that forward normally, but something about him right now was driving her crazy, as she took one of his hands and brought it in between them. "What do you think? Do I want this?"

Without hesitation, he flipped them over, his lips connected to her skin right away, her fingers tangled in his curls, once his mouth closed around her hardened nipple, before moving over to the other one, reaching to unbuckle his belt with one hand. 

Kicking off his jeans, Lindsey grabbed the bottom of Stevie's nightgown and pulled it down from her body, as he then settled between her legs. It was extremely rare that they made love in the morning light anymore, so he couldn't help but look at her. What surprised him the most was that she didn't try and cover herself up. 

"You're so very beautiful."

She could have come up with several degrading remarks about her aging body, but she didn't want to ruin the moment, lifting her arms up and locking her hands behind his neck, pulling him in closer for another kiss. 

The mood had changed. From wanting to have sex after too long, considering what was normal for them, they made love. Slow, passionate, somewhat needy, but always oh so sweet... 

"I love you more than anything, Stephanie, I hope you know that." Lindsey spoke up after a long silence, playing with her hair as she lay half on top of him. 

Pressing a kiss to his bare chest as an acknowledgement to what he just said. "I wouldn't be opposed to you spending the night with me more often."

"You're saying that because the sex was just that good." Lindsey teased, to which Stevie laughed, causing him to raise an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

"Don't worry, baby, the sex is always that good. But no, Linds, I really do honestly want you with me." She lifted her head off his chest, making eye contact. "Maybe one day soon I'll even ask you to move in."

"I'm not pressuring you to do so."

"I know, but I want you to. I mean it." She smiled at him lovingly. "Like you said it yourself, we have less time than we'd like to admit. We'll deal with things as they come, instead of wondering what might go wrong."

"I'd like that." Lindsey half-smiled, sounding somewhat shy. "Again, it's up to you."

"I know." Stevie nodded. "Now..." Dragging her red nail from Lindsey's chest, down and beneath the covers. "Would you like to join me in the shower?"