XI

The following morning Stevie was woken up by her assistant, knocking on the bedroom door. Allowing Karen to come in, Stevie rubbed her eyes and yawned, stretching some. Before Karen could open her mouth, Stevie frowned, asking. "Who's playing that song? Wait, is someone actually playing the song?" It didn't sound like a record.

"Who do you think?" Karen looked at her boss pointedly, crossing her arms. "He's been here for like and hour and it's driving me nuts!"

"Why didn't you just let him in?" Stevie asked, getting out of bed.

"Lindsey said, he's not allowed to come inside your house."

Laughing, Stevie shook her head. "What a dork." Stepping out into the balcony, Stevie hugged herself around the middle, catching Lindsey's attention. "It's okay, Linds. Come inside. Karen will let you in."

"Are you sure?" Lindsey asked smirking, leaning against his car, acoustic guitar in his hands, as he continued playing.

"Yeah, I'm sure." She smiled at him.

Hearing Karen opening the front door, Stevie reentered her bedroom and looked for her robe, feeling extremely exposed wearing just her nightgown. Knowing Lindsey wouldn't care, Stevie still went to quickly brush her teeth and tame her hair a little, before she got downstairs.

"Hey." Lindsey smiled seeing her, as Stevie approached and gave him a small peck on the lips. 

"Morning." She said and took a seat beside him, seeing as Karen was already making coffee. "What brought you here so early?"

"You."

"Oh God, here we go again..." Karen muttered to herself, but not quietly enough.

"You're just jealous. I've never understood why you dislike me so much, but I figured you must be jealous that Stevie has such a dream of a man by her side." Lindsey told Karen smugly, though, the expression faded from his face quickly, when both women started laughing.

"I love you, Lindsey, but that's a bit of a stretch." Stevie said, patting his hand.

"Is that how you support your better half?" 

"Again, a stretch." Stevie joked, giggling.

Lindsey rolled his eyes, sighing. "What am I going to do with you..."

"Love me until the very last breath, obviously." She looked up at him innocently and he couldn't help but smile, leaning in for a quick kiss. "If I'm being honest, though, I was thinking that maybe we could do something together today?"

"Like what?" Stevie asked, nodding a thank you to Karen, when she placed a cup of coffee in front of her. 

"Well, my place is pretty empty right now. I was wondering if you could make it feel more homey."

Raising an eyebrow, Stevie took a sip of her drink first, before asking. "You want to go shopping?"

"I've heard the rumors, but how bad could it actually be?" Karen laughed to herself, hearing that. "That bad?" Suddenly Lindsey wasn't so sure.

"I won't go crazy, I promise. I'd love to help."

"Give her a limit." Karen suggested, looking at Lindsey. "I'm serious."

"Don't listen to her." Stevie waved it off, sliding off the stool. "I'll go get ready."

"So, does this mean I can leave?" Karen asked, before Stevie disappeared. "I brought your suitcase from yesterday, doesn't seem like you need anything else from me."

"Sure, you can take the day off." Stevie nodded, smiling at her assistant. 

Once Karen was sure Stevie was in her bedroom, she got closer to Lindsey, whispering to him. "Stevie's on something."

"Huh? That's bullshit." He shook his head. "That surely can't be true."

"Lindsey, I'm around her more than anyone else. When this whole thing with you started, she completely shut down. She barely slept, she didn't eat, she spent the majority of her days in her room. I don't know who she went to, but she got some kind of prescription pills. She thinks that I don't know."

"Karen, no... you must be mista-"

"No, Lindsey. I'm serious. She pops a pill and her whole demeanor changes. She changes."

"Christine brought it up as well." Lindsey sighed, not wanting to believe it. "Why? Doesn't she realize how dangerous it is? Stevie knows that better than anyone." 

"I've seen you two go through a lot, but this time was extremely hard for her. I guess, she wasn't able to deal with it on her own. I'm asking you, Lindsey, to look after her." Karen said, sounding more worried than he'd ever heard her sound before. "Be with her, love her and don't you dare break her heart. If she felt like she needed drugs now, imagine what would happen if you two broke up again. Be the best man you can be to her and take her off those damn pills." Karen rushed to finish her sentence, hearing Stevie coming back.

"What are you two hushing about?" Stevie asked, appearing in the doorway. 

"Well, we're obviously talking about you." Lindsey attempted to sound as if he was joking.

"You better not." She warned, pointing a finger at him.

Smiling, Lindsey went to Stevie, sliding his arm around her waist. "We wouldn't dare." Pressing a kiss to her cheek, Lindsey asked. "Ready to go?"

Stevie gave him a nod and after saying goodbye to her dog and Karen, she reached for her handbag and opened the front door, stepping outside, Lindsey following behind. His smile had already faded, as he couldn't think about anything else besides the information Karen just shared with him.