X

Lindsey wasn't sure if he was seeing things or it really was Stevie, standing beside him, her face wet from tears. "I couldn't get on that plane." She spoke up again, sitting down next to Lindsey. "I thought going away would fix me. I thought I'd spend some time without you, I'd write in my journal, I'd play piano and sing, then I would miss you and come back."

"Wh- what made you change your mind?" Lindsey found his voice at last, as he took off his leather jacket, placing it over her shoulders, seeing her shiver, before he wrapped his arms around her too.

"I realized that nothing will ever fix me or us." Stevie said, her voice slightly muffled by his shirt. "This is just who we are. We fight, but we fight with such passion and we love. We love fiercely. Leaving would only make the gap between us bigger."

Lindsey couldn't help but smile at her words, his hand mindlessly moving up and down her back. "You have no idea how happy you just made me, how relieved I am."

Biting her lip nervously, Stevie pulled back slightly, locking their eyes. "Lindsey... I know that you're probably making plans in your head already and I want to tell you to stop." Frowning, he stayed quiet, unsure of what she meant. "I can't jump right back into a relationship with you. First of all, because it's you and second of all, because I haven't been with anyone, serious like this for a very long time."

Lindsey scoffed, making a bit of distance between them. "What's your plan then?"

"See, you can't get like this, as soon as you don't get it your way." She tried to sound calm. "All I'm saying is that I want us to do things right. I don't want you to move in with me tomorrow. We've done that before and we failed. I want to date you, I want to get to know you again, I want to learn about new hobbies you've picked up recently... I want that."

Processing it for a minute, Lindsey diverted his gaze back on Stevie. "So, you didn't just miss your flight to come to me, give me false hope and then ignore me for weeks?"

"No, not this time." She chuckled lightly, shaking her head. "I simply don't want to rush."

"What, you want me to wine and dine you?" Lindsey smirked, causing Stevie to blush, but she gave him a nod. 

"Yes, I do, you could say that. I think you owe me that, don't you?" She asked, not really waiting for any answer.

"Can I trust you?" Lindsey looked at her with such sincerity. "Do you truly mean what you just said? I have feelings, too. I hurt, too, Stevie."

"I know." Entwining their fingers together, she brought his hand up to her lips, kissing softly. "I know and yes, you can trust me, Linds. I will not run away if you don't scare me away."

"It won't be easy, but I'll try." Giving her a small smile.

Karen kept checking her watch every few minutes, wondering if it was okay to interrupt the two already or not. They could talk at home, right?, she thought to herself, tapping her foot impatiently. 

"Um... I really don't mean to ruin your moment, but..." Karen spoke up, coming from behind them. "But we have no business here and it's getting chilly outside. Why don't you take it back home and continue there?"

"I'm so sorry, Karen." Stevie said, looking over her shoulder. "I kind of forgot about you."

Rolling her eyes, Karen just waved it off. "It's fine. I know this is more important than me waiting for you." She showed between them. 

"I'll take Stevie home." Lindsey said and Karen hesitated replying to that, first looking over at Stevie for approval.

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow then, I guess." Karen told Stevie. "Call me if you need something." They shared a quick hug and Karen went to her car, leaving Stevie and Lindsey alone once again.

"We should go, too." Lindsey suggested and Stevie nodded, standing up with him, as they turned in the direction of his car, walking hand in hand. "Even with all of your rules-"

"They're not rules!"

Lindsey gave Stevie a pointed look. "Even with all of your rules, I'm still so grateful you've given me another chance. God knows I don't deserve it."

"Don't say that." She lay her head on his shoulder, his arm wrapping around her back, as he pressed her closer into him. "I love you, that's a good enough reason."

Closing his eyes momentarily, Lindsey opened them again, smiling, pressing a kiss to her temple. "That sounds amazing. I've missed hearing you say that."

"I love you." Stevie repeated, then stopped, once they got to his car. "You are not going to make your way into my home tonight, just so you know." She told him, sounding playful.

Lindsey laughed, shrugging his shoulders. "I wasn't going to even try. Okay, maybe I had a thought..." He added, diverting his eyes, seeing the look she was giving him. "You know me too well."

"I do know you pretty well." Stevie nodded.

They got into Lindsey's car and a relatively short, considering there was no traffic at that time, and comfortably silent ride later, Lindsey pulled into Stevie's driveway. He climbed out with her, Stevie wearing a questioning look across her face.

"You said, you want to do things right. I thought, I'll be a gentleman and walk you to the door." Lindsey smirked, causing Stevie to giggle.

"You are not coming inside." She persisted, fishing for her keys.

"Mm, maybe not yet." Lindsey winked and Stevie elbowed him in the ribs. "Do I get to ask for a kiss?"

"Well, since you're such a gentleman..." Stevie teased, bringing her hands up, cradling his face, as she stood on her tiptoes and softly pressed her lips against his. "Goodnight, Lindsey."

"Night, Steph. I love you."

"I love you, too." She smiled at him lovingly, before disappearing inside her home.