III

Once again, Lindsey found himself sitting behind the wheel in his car, thinking of where to go. How could it possibly have happened? Both, Stevie and then Kristen, told him that they had had enough of him. The worst part was that he knew they were right. The way he had been treating the two women over the years wasn't how they were supposed to be treated. It should be easy, it was supposed to be an easy decision between them. Lindsey had been in love with Stevie since he was a teenager, what was there to think about? When Kristen told him she was pregnant, he knew his life was about to change. Yet, he didn't want to let go of Stevie, at the same time he wanted to do the right thing and be with Kristen. He had gotten himself into a huge mess and over fifteen years later, he still hadn't sorted it out. 

His initial thought was to go to Stevie. But she told him to stay away. Would she even allow him to enter her home? Would she give him yet another chance to explain himself? On the other hand, what was there to explain? All he had to say, he had already said it. I'm sorry, Stevie. I love you, Stevie. Give me some more time, Stevie. Things are going to change, Stevie, I promise... He couldn't possibly count how many times he had told her these things. It didn't seem enough anymore. And while his brain told him no, his heart, however, told him to go. What was the worst that could happen? She would kick him out. Again.

It was nearly 3 am. Stevie wasn't sleeping yet, but she was already in bed, writing in her journal about the day's events. It was about time she stood up for herself. Every single time, she always fell for Lindsey's promises. Well, not anymore. She wasn't going to let him back in so easily. As she was writing that down, she heard a car outside. She wasn't alerted, she knew it was Lindsey. She also knew what he was going to say. Or so she thought.

Sighing heavily, Stevie closed and put away her journal, taking off her reading glasses as well. She pulled the sheets off herself, swinging her legs over the edge of the bed, she got up and reached for her silk robe. While she made her way downstairs, Lindsey had passed through the gates, knowing the code by heart, and parked his car. He brought his hand up to ring the bell, but the door opened before he could do that. 

"Steph..."

"I thought, I asked you to stay the hell away from me."

"How did you know I was the one on the other side?" Lindsey ignored what she said.

"Because I know that you never listen to me." Stevie shrugged, folding her arms over her chest. "Why are you here, Lindsey? What do you want?"

"May I come in, please?"

"No, I don't think so." 

He didn't expect that, swallowing uneasily. "There's something I have to tell you."

"Well, go on then, tell me." Stevie said leaning against the doorway, waiting.

Letting out a deep breath... "Kristen saw me walking into the restaurant, right after she left. She said, she doesn't want to live this way anymore. She told me to leave."

"Good. About damn time."

"W- what?" Lindsey stuttered, raising an eyebrow. "You're happy that she kicked me out?"

"It's not that I'm happy, Lindsey, I just can't feel sorry for you anymore. It's your own fault you're in this situation. You only have yourself to blame for having two women, clearly you don't respect either of us enough to choose."

"Baby, that's not true."

"Don't you fucking baby me, Lindsey." She glared at him. "I loved you enough, to let you come back to me. I thought having you part of the time would be enough. I believed when you told me that you only wanted to wait for your son to be a little older, so you can explain things to him. I believed you wholeheartedly, that once you do, you'll be with me again."

"I've always been yours..."

"That's not true. You're coming here in the middle of the night, telling me your wife kicked you out of the house. Obviously, you do not belong to me, Lindsey." Scoffing, she shook her head. "I don't understand how Kristen and I have been able to put up with your shit for so long. You know, you are so lucky to have two women, who love you this much. The fact we both know there's someone else in the picture and we accept it, it's... it's degrading. I say that you don't respect us, hell, we don't have any respect for ourselves!"

"Stevie, please. Don't say that, you know it's not true."

"Isn't it?" Tilting her chin up, she looked him in the eyes. "This is not how relationships work, Lindsey. You don't cheat and have a baby with another woman, first of all. You don't marry her later on and have more children if you claim you don't love her. You don't come back to me and beg me to be a part of this fucked up scenario, where you get to have us both." He diverted his eyes away from her face, wet from tears. "I love you, Lindsey. I will always love you with all of my heart, but I just can not do this any longer. It's not right. You've always melted my heart, saying how much you loved me too and how sorry you were about everything. I don't want to hear it. If you mean it, then act. Make me see it." She used the sleeve of her robe to dry her cheeks. "I swore, I would never ask you this, but... If you do love me and if you do truly want to be with me, leave Kristen. Divorce her, because that's the only way for you to find your way back to me." She sniffled, standing up straight, she held onto the door handle, ready to close the door. "Otherwise, we're over. Whatever we have, it's done and I... I honestly will disappear from your life forever."