VI

Lindsey hadn't talked to anyone for a week. He was staying in a hotel room, which looked worse with each day. He was so torn between Kristen and Stevie. He loved both women. He might love one of them more than the other, but he did have feelings for both. After all, Kristen had been his wife for years, she also gave him three children. Would he be able to just walk out? But then again, he wouldn't be leaving for just anyone. There was no other woman in his life, for whom he would have had stronger feelings than Stevie. She was a constant in his life since he was a teenager. They'd gone through so much together, good and bad, yet they never stopped loving each other through all of it.

It was unfair on Kristen and Stevie to keep them waiting, when Lindsey had been the one who fucked up, he knew that. He did feel bad about it, too, but he wasn't ready to choose between them either. Sighing, he shook his head, choose? He should be glad if either of them still wanted him back. 

First of all, however, Lindsey was going to apologize to his bandmates. Neither of them did anything wrong and they didn't deserve to be yelled or cursed at. Getting into the shower, Lindsey washed off the past seven days, shaved, then found himself a clean set of clothes. It took him a minute to locate his car keys, before he left.

Soon, Lindsey was making his way to the studio. He stopped by the door, hearing laughter from the other side. Also... Stevie?, he whispered to himself. He considered getting the hell out of there, but he didn't get the chance, when the door opened and Mick nearly collided with him.

"Lindsey! Where in the world have you been?" Mick beamed, hugging him. "We've missed you, mate. Come on in." Mick stepped aside and gave Lindsey a nudge to go inside.

"H-hi." Lindsey said, not really looking at anyone in particular. 

"Hey." Christine replied, while John gave Lindsey a nod of his head. 

"Hi, Lindsey." Stevie addressed him as well, which he didn't expect. 

"Hello." He hated how formal that came out. "What are you all up to?" He asked, clearing his throat. 

"Nothing much." Christine said. "Stevie asked to listen to what we currently have recorded. We weren't actually planning on working today, since we do need you." Lindsey thought it sounded sincere. "Where have you been, Lindsey?"

Before he could reply, Stevie stood up, reaching for her handbag. "I think, I'll be on my way."

"You don't have to leave, because I'm here." Lindsey told her.

"I don't, but I want to." Stevie finished her sentence, shocking Lindsey a little. On the other hand, should he be shocked, hearing that? "It was so nice seeing you, guys." She smiled, giving the three Brits a hug goodbye. "Hopefully, we'll see each other soon." She gave a small wave, before exiting, not acknowledging Lindsey in any way.

Unable to stand the silence any longer, Mick spoke up, directing his stare at Lindsey. "What have you done to her this time?" 

"Nothing." Lindsey replied simply. "Honestly."

"Oh?" Christine raised an eyebrow. "Maybe it's just the past, what, like eighteen years or so catching up with her?" Mick gave her a look, causing her to roll her eyes. "No need to answer that, it's none of my business."

Since Lindsey came there to apologize, he bit his tongue. He wanted to reply, but he knew he had to let it go. Besides, it wasn't a complete lie. "It's not." He only said. "Anyway... I'm here to say I'm sorry about the other day. I was mad and I shouldn't have lashed out at you two." He looked at Chris and Mick. "I'm just very tense right now. I shouldn't have disappeared either, but I thank you for your concern and all those calls and messages."

"Please, be so kind and answer those calls the next time." Mick asked. "We came up with all sorts of things that might have happened to you."

Nodding, Lindsey said. "I bet. But as you can see, I'm alive and well. Physically at least." He added. "So." Wanting to change the subject. "Are we going to work on something now that I'm here?"

Hours later, as usual, Lindsey was the only one left. He lay on the leather couch with his guitar, trying to figure out a missing piece to certain song. It seemed like it already had everything, yet there was something that wasn't there. Stevie. He said out loud. The song needed her, but given how she acted towards him earlier in the day, that song was never going to be finished a hundred percent.

Giving up at last, Lindsey put away the instrument and got up to his feet, stretching. Even though he wanted to, even though it was the safe choice to hide right now and avoid his problems, Lindsey understood that he couldn't return to that damn hotel room. He had long enough to think it all through and he thought he had made the right decision. 

Once again, looking for his car keys for some time, he was back, sitting behind the steering wheel. Starting the engine, he pulled out of the parking lot and took a turn to an all too familiar road. 

Having arrived relatively shortly, Lindsey needed a moment to himself. Taking a deep breath, he at last opened the car door and climbed outside. Even though he had possessed the key, he felt like he should ring the bell.

A minute later, the door opened. 

"Hey, I'm sorry I'm here this late." Lindsey said, sticking his hands into his pockets, looking down.

Sighing, she folded her arms over her chest and waited for whatever else he had to say.