VII

Somewhat reluctantly, Kristen allowed Lindsey to come in. Yes, it still was his house, but she didn't really want him there. Without a word, she led the way to her home office, showing Lindsey to close the door behind him. She didn't want their kids to hear any arguing that was most likely going to occur. 

"What do you have to say to me, Lindsey?" Kristen asked, taking a seat.

"First of all, I want to apologize. I want you to know that I am sorry for how I made you live your life. It took me long enough, but I realize this is wrong. I can't lie to you, I love Stevie and I loved her my whole life, but Kristen, I love you, too. I haven't always shown it, that's true, but you've given me what she couldn't. Or wouldn't." He added. "I regret some of my life choices, but I most definitely don't regret my children. It should have been one of you, I should have built a life with you or Stevie, not try and have both." 

"This really isn't making me feel any better." Kristen shook her head, locking eyes with Lindsey. "Should have been, should have done... You can't change it, Lindsey. Everything already happened."

"I know and again, all I can say is that I'm sorry."

"Honestly, your apologies are worthless to me. They were enough at the very beginning, but not anymore. I'm not that naive stupid girl, Lindsey, I'm a grown woman and you can't just tell me you're sorry and expect me to forgive you time and time again."

"I understand that and I would never expect you to forgive me like that." He emphasized, snapping his fingers. "I screwed up. I finally admit it out loud, I screwed up."

Silence fell upon them. Of course Kristen still loved him. She was the one out of the two of them in that marriage who was devoted to her spouse. Everything Lindsey was saying sounded genuine and he seemed like he felt remorse. A part of her wanted to forgive him, but it was only a very tiny bit.

"I want us to try and fix this, Kristen." Lindsey spoke up. "We have a family together. Leelee and Stella are still so very young, don't you think they need both of their parents under the same roof?" Kristen sat tight-lipped, wanting to hear what else he had to say. "And I want to stay not just because of the kids, it's because of you too. If I felt nothing towards you, I wouldn't have looked at you, not even once. I liked you and I've grown to love you, I married you, Kristen."

She scoffed, then asked. "What other choice did you have?" Lindsey opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. "You don't want to stay, Lindsey, not for all the right reasons at least. You don't have to keep telling me that you've loved Stevie since you were sixteen or something, I know that. That's the thing though, I do know that you love her and I will never ever compare to her in your eyes. You're here now only because you're scared. We've already talked about this. I know that no matter what you say, your heart wants her, but you're terrified to take that step towards her. You hate each other, just as much as you love each other. You two have something we've never had - passion. You have this fiery passion between you... You're terrified it will go wrong as soon as you make a move. You're such a stupid man, Lindsey Buckingham. I know I'm still your wife and this is the last thing I should be saying, but I think it's about time you man up. You love her, Lindsey." Kristen repeated his own words, but she hoped he understood why she said them. "I actually went to see Stevie a few days ago. We talked and she made a great point. She said that you don't have a choice between her and me. That's the absolute truth - you don't. You don't deserve to have it. So, here is what I choose, Lindsey." She paused for a moment, shocked at herself how well she was holding up. "I choose to let you go." Glancing at him only briefly, Kristen saw the shock across his face. She looked away quickly, otherwise, she might take it back. As if to prove she was not kidding, Kristen took off her wedding ring and put it down on her desk, making sure Lindsey could see it, before she stood up and left the room. 

Lindsey sat completely speechless. This wasn't the way he expected it to go. In all honesty, he thought by now he would be in their bedroom, getting out of the clothes he wore all day and getting into the shower, before he lay down in their bed for the night. However, Kristen was right. She had always been the safe choice out of the two women in his life and he was too afraid to finally be with Stevie. Well, Kristen decided for him and if he was truthful, Lindsey felt more relieved than he ever had in his life.

~

Hey, guys. Thanks for reading, but I noticed that this story doesn't seem to interest you like my other ones. Should I continue?