Featured Author- MaryFahey

This months Featured Author here at visible is beloved Wattpad Author MaryFahey. With five wattpad published stories, most in the 100K reads category, you know her work is going to be good. 

Before I explore her books, here is an interview with the lovely Mary, so you can all get to know her a little better. 

An author and a speech and language therapist! How interesting! What does your job involve?

A Speech and Language Therapist diagnoses and treats communications impairments. Sometimes these occur alone and at other times are related to another condition. The presentation can be developmental in nature or acquired from environmental factors or trauma.

We treat clients of all ages with-

Language impairment

Speech disorders

Stammering

Voice

Feeding issues.

Alternative and Augmentative communication needs.

My background has impacted on my writing with the topics I choose but my stories are 100% fictional. And the disability/communication impairment can't be what propels the story.

Why?

I learnt the hard way that a 200 page story mainly about a voice disorder and its remediation wasn't popular - even if the hero was a hot rock star.

I removed 'Rocked by his Voice' from Wattpad and tried to figure out why it didn't work. After all, most professional speakers from actors to singers to politicians suffer from voice impairments at various times! But none of them speak about it! A hoarse or squeaky voice is obviously not that good for their image. Or something that makes them appear likeable and heroic. I had also included too much information about the ongoing therapy instead of the personal journey/story.

Looking back, my rock star didn't have much of a character arc. His voice was messed up but he was able to write songs and lip synch during his therapy. He didn't have to make any changes to his lifestyle.

My heroine (his therapist) was in love with him prior to the story. He actually wanted a non-showbiz girlfriend, preferably with a professional career so she was ideal. The stakes were low and there was zero conflict, either in the romantic sense or about her therapy approach.

I applied what I learnt to my next story, New Year's Baby, which is about a father and son with a cleft lip and palate. It did well from day one and is now featured.

When you come to write a story, do you do more research for your characters or do you use your own knowledge?

I've written mainly about what I know so don't need much research about my characters disabilities. Instead I spend time developing my characters and once I do that, I have my story.

I think about how their disability made them the person they are, what opportunities they got or missed, how it affects their interaction with others, their goals, dreams and so on. As I write the story, their disability may or may not influence their reactions and expectations.

For example in the first chapter of Pretend Pregnancy. Hazel, who has cerebral palsy is sneered at by a group of jealous women because she is married to the glamorous Romeo McGrath. She hides how much this hurts her and gets on with her day. Or so she thinks!

In New Year's Baby, a facial deformity in childhood leaves my hero still thinking he is ugly and less capable as an adult. So he dumps the heroine after a weekend together before he gets emotionally involved. Or so he thinks!

For someone looking to research a condition that affects speech and language, where would you recommend they start?

Speech and Language issues may occur alone or in conjunction with another condition. The best way to find out what you need for your story is to look for relevant professional or self help groups and read through their information sheets. Then develop the character as you normally would but take into consideration how their communication issues might impact on the story.

When it came to writing stories in which disability plays a main part, was it a case of write what you know, or was it for another reason?

I think what I know is what I'm interested in. So yes it is easier to write about disability related issues. I've little interest in the paranormal for example so I think doing a vampire story would be difficult for me and wouldn't be dreadful.

Cooking, travelling and most historical periods might also be best left to others.

People who fight for things other people take for granted both fascinate and inspire me. In Pretend Partners and Pregnancy, Hazel struggles against the odds to limp badly. In Second Hand Wedding, Silas wants to be treated as an equal in spite of having a learning disability.

People with a disability have an amazing journey to tell, with ups and down and this adds an extra layer of conflict to my stories. Issues like facial deformity or congenital disability in adults are rarely addressed in fiction, and even if they are, the correct services are always magically available, accessible and helpful. This is not always the case in the world I write about and I also address prejudice and discrimination.

Hazel is terrified she will lose her minimum wage job in a sweet shop to an non disabled person. Ryan, my paediatrician, in New Year's Baby is given a less favourable work contract once his employer discovers his repaired cleft lip and palate.

Neither think they deserve love.

What has been the response from readers about your disabled characters?

I've had encouraging comments about how I sensitively and realistically portray my characters. Many readers have shared their own personal experiences of the issues addressed.

In the Tycoon's Trophy family, a series of men in Gemma's life deceive her and play mind games and make her believe she is crazy. This psychological bullying has particularly resonated with readers.

Absolutely inspiring! Its so great to hear that your readers are connecting to your characters. Finally, What does the word 'Diversity' mean to you?

Diversity isn't really a word I focus on but prefer to see how people are alike and have similar goals as others. In the end, people of different races, cultures and with varied disabilities usually all want security, love and the chance to develop their unique skill set.

So I would see the person first and that everyone is diverse in their own way.