The Big D

So what actually is depression?

Depression is frequently misunderstood and often mistaken for 'just being sad'. But in fact depression is much more than just 'having a down day'. Depression is when you gradually lose interest in day to day activities. It's when you fail to recognise any sort of positives about yourself or your life. It's when you feel so drained that you can sleep for twelve hours, and wake up still feeling tired. Depression is that little voice in your head that wishes you never wake up in the morning. It can make you so sick that you no longer want to eat, or it can make you feel so empty that no matter how much you eat, you can't seem to get full. Depression is a darkness; a darkness that can take over your life completely. It can easily destroy the person you once were. So no matter which way you look at it; depression - it's serious.

So how do you get better? - Medication?

Being someone who lives with chronic depression myself, and having tried several different SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) I came to the conclusion that it's safe driving with fog lights, however the lights don't necessarily get rid of the fog. They just help you see through it.

I found that my better days were the ones where I was surrounded by 'good vibes'. Whether these vibes were in the form of music, art, reading, writing; they seemed to help me a lot. I would find that on my 'better days' I wouldn't fall asleep crying and in fact could manage a smile and a sigh of relief before bed time. I also found that the tiniest words of encouragement can make a huge difference. Just simply being told that 'I'm doing a good job' would instantly make me feel a little better with myself.

I think for anyone battling with depression, it's important to keep yourself surrounded by 'good vibes'. Whatever form they come in, it's key to be encircled with them. But probably the best thing to do (although the most difficult) is to talk to someone, anyone. Whether it's someone trained to listen and help (a counsellor), a friend or even a pet. It always helps to talk about it.

Quite often it's hard to talk to someone straight away, especially when you feel so worthless. So I found that writing about it first was a good starting point. Writing letters, keeping a diary/journal, even poetry, it really helps you to get familiar with expressing yourself.

With a combination of all three - talking about your problems, surrounding yourself with things that make you happy and taking medication to support you, you will definitely be on the road to recovery.

So what's my point exactly?

Depression can come in spouts and can be experienced at any given time in someone's life, for some people it can reoccur throughout their lifetime. For others it can be during a difficult period of their life, but either way it should always be considered as a serious matter. It should never go untreated or overlooked. If you know someone who is suffering from depression, please encourage them to seek help and support them with their situation.

So how does this fit into #Visible?

If someone is struggling and finds it difficult to express their internal thoughts, how awesome and helpful would it be to read a story and realise that other people know and appreciate how they're feeling?

The character doesn't have to be portrayed negatively, i.e. someone who sleeps all day and refuses to do anything apart from cry; they can be someone who has these days but are capable of saving the world.

By including mental illnesses in literature we are working forward to inspire hope amongst those suffering.

By: Itsonlymaisha