Epilepsy Awareness Day

Purple Day – Raising Awareness For Epilepsy

March 26th - also known as Purple Day is an annual celebration that began in 2008 and aims at raising awareness of epilepsy, which is a condition that affects over 65 million people globally – and is one of the most common neurological disorders.

The day was founded by Cassidy Megan when she was nine years old. Her efforts were supported by the Epilepsy Association of Nova Scotia – EANS.

Epilepsy is a brain condition that is characterised by recurrent seizures – and specifically not just one seizure. The brain is made up of billions of neurons that communicate through electrical and chemical signals. A seizure results when there is a sudden excessive electrical discharge that disrupts normal activity.

Seizures cause a change in function or behaviour – a seizure may be: a blank stare, muscle spasms, uncontrolled movements, altered awareness, odd sensations or convulsions. The form of the seizure is determined by the location in the brain of the abnormal neurons. Seizures may occur rarely or many times a day. The condition can be controlled by medication, in which case an epileptic can be seizure-free.

Epilepsy can present itself any age although can mostly be detected in childhood – sometimes when it develops in childhood, some may outgrow their seizures. Developing in the elderly, there is a higher chance of epilepsy due to strokes and aging of the brain.

The main drug treatment are antiepileptic – they do not cure epilepsy but control it by suppressing the seizures – the medication aims to establish perfect seizure control and no or minimal side effects. Some seizures may not be controlled because of the underlying cause.

Drug therapy has to be individualised – the patient has to be an active participate in the discussion and treatment of their condition.

Lavender is the international colour for epilepsy and is also a colour that symbolises solitude – which is why purple is the colour of this day.

Anybody interested in showing their support for the epileptic community can become an ambassador of purple- this involves wearing purple and spreading awareness of the condition in your community and to friends/family

Anybody interested in showing their support for the epileptic community can become an ambassador of purple- this involves wearing purple and spreading awareness of the condition in your community and to friends/family. You could also hold a fund-raising event in aid of EANS or any other charity supporting epilepsy awareness. Most importantly, you should take time to increase your own awareness about the effects of epilepsy on people's lives.

Thank you for reading.

by thefineideayoucrave