Computer/ Writing Support

#visible is all about getting more disabilities into literature- but what good is that if the authors who actually HAVE them and want to write about them, struggle to use a computer?

This chapter is all about the support out there for disabled computer users, and the software and accessories available to make life that little bit easier.

Let's start with what is available for writers who have visual impairments.

Accessories available include high contrast keyboards, enlarged keyboards, high contrast stickers and braille stickers.

There is a lot of software out there for computers to aid those of you who are visually impaired or blind, including screen magnifiers and readers. These are some of the favorites I have come across in my research.

ClaroRead Plus V7.

This comes in both downloadable and DVD form for both PC and MAC computers.

The software is for supporting reading and writing, as it speaks practically any on screen text out loud, it works with Microsoft Word and scanned books and documents, all read out with clarity.

There are also visual tools such as color, highlight and focus on the text as it is being read aloud by the computer. It has an enhanced spell check, homophobe check, thesaurus and speaking dictionary. Another great feature is that words can be spoken back as they are typed.

With the ability to customize the software to your individual needs, the ability to work it in over 20 different languages and the fact it is recognized as being suitable for those who have learning disabilities makes it a tool I know a lot of you will be interested in looking into.

- I should also add that the multi-sensory software is perfect for those who have dyslexia.

With prices around £190

Dolphin guide- V9.03 All-in-one software.

This software gives the user simple computing with tools that include magnification and screen reading. Perfect for anyone who is blind, partially sighted, has little to no technical ability or lacks the capacity to acquire said knowledge.

It reads everything aloud and works on the 'single button' computing concept.

You control it with your voice, by speaking commands. There is no need for a keyboard or a mouse!

It is much pricier than the last one, but for the level of support and quality of the software you receive it is definitely worth it for those who need it. Prices start at around £500

A skill we could all do to have! Touch tying! This means being able to type words directly onto the screen without having to look at the keyboard. Not only increasing the amount of words you can type a minute, but also allows you to type without breaking concentration.

Great for those who have visual impairments, as there is no need to look at the keyboard.

Learning tutorials like- Kaz typing tutorial makes it an easy skill to learn, you can switch between audio or text mode while learning, and is available for both PC and MAC, with prices starting around £16.

There is also the Azabat Talking Touch- Typing Tutor designed specifically for blind and visually impaired people, with prices starting around £50.

Something which I am really excited to have found is the 'Handwriting recognition software' perfect for those who have wrist problems, or like to write out their work before they type it up. With built in storage capacity that digitally captures and stores anything you write or draw with ink on an ordinary A4 sized piece of paper. Linked to your PC, documents that have been digitally captured can be downloaded, viewed, edited, stored as e-books, image files, PDF or converted into text in Microsoft Word.

How does it work? The compact ball point pen, transmits its location and pen strokes into the Digimemo pad, enabling the device to capture and store handwriting and drawings. It can be used with any paper placed on the Digimemo's A4 sized writing area, which can be connected to a PC to capture and update notes live.

The device can hold up to 50 A4 pages of writing and drawings, with more capacity available with the use of SD memory cards. All the downloads are done via USB.

With prices starting from £114, this is a very useful tool for both writers and artists.

And finally, where would a writer be without the ability to procrastinate? Azabat Talking Games start at £30, and are perfect for visually impaired users, everything from Battleships and hangman to word puzzles and jigsaws.

There is so much more out there that is available, including Dyslexia support software, Music therapy software, software for ADD and ADHD that helps improve concentration. But it's not just about the software!

You can purchase desk raisers to allow your desk to be adjusted in height, a monitor stand for your screen to be placed for comfortable use.

Antibacterial Medical grade keyboards and mice that are washable and dustproof for those who need a sterile working environment. There are Ergonomic keyboards and mice, (Split in half down the middle) to allow you to work in a natural wrist and arm position, most comfortable and practical for you.

There are also single handed keyboards in both left and right if you only have the use of one hand, and a head operated mouse!

So take a look, see what's out there that you never thought was- you never know what you can find that will support you in your reading and writing endeavors!