Finding Each Other :::7:::

*Damien’s POV*

I moan, snuggle my nose into my pillow, and try to ignore the disturbance. But my phone lights up again, buzzing persistently, and my dads probably home from the bar and I don’t want to bug him. Pissed, I stretch an arm out and grab the phone, thumb poised to click it off. Then I read the number.

“God dammit Kyle, only you would bother me at two in the morning” blankets gathered at my waist I slip my other hand free of the covers and press talk, holding the phone to my ear in a state of hesitation. Two possibilities presented themselves in my mind. The first-this was some kind of booty call and Kyle had finally changed his mind. The second? Something was terribly wrong.

“Damien?” Fuck. Something was terribly wrong. His voice gave it away.

“Yeah?” I tried to keep the yawn from my voice and failed. “What’s up?”

“I need you to come over…. please…” Did he just say please? Double fuck.

“Yeah okay, I’m getting up. What’s wrong?”

“It’s Dallas. She’s sick” he sounds somehow desperate. Not the way someone who wasn’t Kyle would sound desperate, but for him the slight discomfort in his voice was all the indication I needed. “Like, really sick. I called the doctor but no one picked up. And I don’t have her health card yet so I can’t take her to the hosptial”

“What’s wrong with her?” I ask, blinking to adjust my eyes. For once I regretted the messy state of my room-how was I going to find my shoes in this mess? “Like, is it a cold? Fever?”

“Fever” he repeated back to me “Her tempature is 104 and rising.”

I curse silently “Okay, I’ll be right over.”

“Okay hurry” there was a brief silence and I was sure he’d hung up when his voice returned “Thank you”

The line went dead, but that graditute was even further motivation. I got up, stumbled around, and managed to successfully get dressed. Rushing from my room I’d almost made it to the door when a voice stopped me “Damien?” my dad rubbed some sleep from his eye “Where are you going?”

“I can’t really explain right now” I’m pretty much dancing on the spot by the door.

“Then you aren’t going anywhere” he crosses his arms, but I’d long since stopped being intimidated by my parents. They were nothing. They provided clothing, food, and housing but that was all they provided. So I didn’t exactly respect my father enough to stay and listen to this shit.

“Alright fine. I’m going to help my single father boyfriend look after his sick daughter, in hopes that one day he might see how much I actually love him and get over the fact that I fucked Seth one time” I hold up a finger to make a point “By the way, Seth was picturing me as Darcy the entire time because he’s madly in love with her. Thought you should know. Bye then” I opened the door, not giving him time to react, and hurry out of the apartment.

I ponder his reaction as I hurry to Kyle. He was shocked, obviously, but was he disgusted? I hadn’t exactly presented it, or myself, in the best light. But whatever. I didn’t exactly crave his approval anyways. Walking alone in the dark, I found myself more concerned about what was in head of me then what was behind me for the very first time in a very long time.

**************

When I opened the door a very teary eyed todler was immietly at my knees, wrapping her arms around my ankles. I frowned, leaning down to pick her up, the heat rolling off her in waves. I press my lips to her forehead for a breif moment, and decide Kyle was just paniced-she was sick but it wasn’t anything to serious.

“Mommy…” Dallas sobbed, snuggling into me. I wasn’t even wearing the wig…

“No Dallas, I’m uncle Damien. It’s okay” I smoothed her hairback, looking up to see Kyle’s pale face at the top of the stairs. He looked at me, brown eyes wide, silently asking me for reasurance. “She just has a fever, I don’t think it’s to bad” he nods, and I carry her back up the stairs.

Though the fever itself wasn’t to bad, the night was. Dallas clearly had never been so sick before because she couldn’t seem to stop crying, meaning we couldn’t get her to sleep. The sun was gently rising when we’d finally coaxed her to sleep, wedged in the corner of the couch.

Careful not to move her I lean down and touch her forehead once more. Theres a coating of sweat but beneath it she seems to be cooling down. Sighing in relief, I sink back into the couch. Kyle looks similarly lifeless next to me.

“Hey Damien” his voice is as weary as his eyes. “why did you sleep with him?”

To tired to be shocked, I let my eyelids drop, responding calmly “Why are you asking me this?”

“Because I’m over tired and I want to know” even in this state he managed to work a little steel into his voice, giving him a strict sense of dominance. He wanted to know, so I might as well tell him. Yawning, I reach up and rub some sleep from my eye.

“I think I wanted to know if I was still in love with him”

I let the words hang in the air between us, free for Kyle to do with them what he would. For a long while, I was certain he’d fallen asleep beside me, we were both so still. But no, his voice drifted back to my ears, the question asked one filled with exhuastion of both mind and body “Were you?”

“No” And I didn’t even have to think about it. “I wasn’t”

“Hmm” he responded gruffly, and after a moment his palm was pressed against mine, fingers twining. I wanted to look over, see the expression on his face, but I was so tired… instead I close my eyes, the warmth of his hand the last conscious thing I’m aware before falling into a deep dreamless sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone still cares I uploaded. *Yawn* I kinda blew off my homework and sleep to do it, so be grateful. Then again, I'm the one who should be grateful-I was finally able to write agian and its like a huge weight has been lifted off my chst even if it's not my best work. Feel free to comment. Hopefully I'll get back in the flow of uploading regularly! <3