Breaking Them Up :::4:::

*Damien’s POV*

“Why are you wearing those?” I grumble.

“To hide my face, obviously”

“Oh shit, I didn’t even think, I didn’t bring anything to disguise myself!”

“Did you bring what I told you to?”

“Umm” I frown “Oh! Yeah”

“Then put it on and hurry up, moron”

****************

I felt like some kind of spy, ordering a table by them but not to close, peeking over my menue to watch their every move. They looked to perfect under the florescent light, there unblemished skin and fountain of golden hair right out of a movie. It, amoung other things, irritated me.

The resturuant was pretty quiet, but I still had to strain my ears to hear there voices of the clanking of forks against plates, and the low murmur of other voices as couples dinned all around us. This was definetly a date resturaunt, not somewhere to bring the kids.

“So, what inspired you to bring me here?” Karen asks. From here I can see there feet gently pushing against each other under the table and feel a wave of revolt.

“A celebration, for you and Damiens newfound friendship” he declares and they clink their diet coke and cream soda aganst one and other. I see his mouth moving with more words, but Kyle had pushed back his chair a little making a loud noise and cutting off everything but the end “-right?”

Karen laughs and I feel sick. Were they laughing at me?! “Hold still, you ass” I hiss at him.

Things get rolling as their waitress comes around. Karen opens her mouth to order, but only having the coupon for a steak dinner, Seth hurries to beat her to the punch. I distantly hear him say “We’ll each have a medium rare steak please” I stiffle a wave of laughter at the expression of helplessness on her face as the waitress walks away. Surprisingly, Kyle seems to be doing the same.

“Something wrong?” he asks her with a smile “I thought it’d be cute if I ordered for you”

“Yeah…” she agrees with a queasy smile.

They sit awkwardly for a moment or two before Seth begins talking about something mundane. Me and Kyle listen together in silence, hoping for the slightest bump in the conversation, but Karen seems to be trying her very best to keep everything rolling perfectly, laughing at stupid jokes, paying her fullest attention, not mentioning that shes a vegetarian.

It’s when the meal is served that the real awkwardness sets in. The steaks are placed before them and and Karen decides to crack a joke-the perfect one. She looks up at Seth with her large ocean eyes, smiles big and teases the words “I promise not to make you say grace or anything lame like that”

Seth’s face freezes, as he tries not to let his temper rise. I can almost read his thoughts like I had them in a perfect book before me. He doesn’t want to get angry with her, he wants to just brush it off, but being the religious nutcase that he was, he’d found that incredibly ofensive.

“Umm, Karen, you know I’m Catholic, don’t you?” his posture tels it all-the tension.

“Oh” she grins and waves him off “You don’t have to pretend in all that crap with me.”

Me and Kyle are practically dancing with glee. They’re so perfectly awkward that I cannot imagine this date recovering aftr a blow that big so early. An idea strikes me-I pull my phone out of my pocket and, putting it on silent, call Seth. I watch as his phone begins blaring ‘Jesus take the wheel’.