Breaking Them Up :::3:::

I was on an amazing victory high before I returned to this room. It seemed like an emotional black hole, sucking away all happiness the moment you entered it. But I’d come here earlier to, and I had to return her stuff or it would haunt me forever. So I carefully return wig to its manikin, and the make-up to her drawers. The clothes are my mothers, so the task done I click off the lights and escape, the stench of medicine that always lingered in there heavy in my nose.

I felt the familiar sadness drum at my heart, and needed a distraction. It was a safe bet that I should change out of my moms clothes before either of my parents saw me and began to worry though. Back in men’s clothing I felt more at home, sitting on my bed and playing with my phone, debating on texting Seth.

Seth. After everything that happened… he went on like nothing had. And now he was dating that Karen girl, who seemed dumb as sticks. Why would he want someone like her? I saw no appeal, but there must be something. Seth and my new accomplice Kyle wanted her.

Could it be her looks? She was a pretty thing, shapely with blond hair and blue eyes, a supposed dream combination. But it was hard to believe she had two guys going tooth and claw for her just because she was pretty. There was millions of pretty girls. So why was she so special?

*************

“So… you want me to go on a date with your girlfriend?” I ask again, completely lost in Seth’s ‘logic’.

“No. Not a date.” he frowns “Just hanging out as friends”

“I’m not going on a date with your girlfriend. Sorry”

It was the beginning of the day, before I was locked up in student support with Kyle, and I was at my locker gathering everything I’d need. Seth seemed to think the idea of sending me and Karen on a date was brilliant, and it’d solve all our differences or something.

“Oh come on. I’ll let you kiss her goodnight and everything” he jokes.

I almost throw up in my mouth a little. “No thanks.”

“For me?” he pleads. I stare at him.

Maybe this could be to my advantage? Getting to know her better.. I might find out a few things. It all depends on how Kyle thinks we should get them broken up, so I guess I’ll give him a strong maybe. “Maybe. I’ll think about it…?”

He smiles, a genuine smile. Not how I smirk, not how Karen flashes teeth, and not how Kyle give you a look of superior amusement. A real smile, looking vaguely goofy on his face, but one hundred percent happy. No one else smiled like him, like he was trying to share his joy with you…

“I have to go” my chest felt tight “See you later” why can’t it be me?

****************

The secretary seems to stopped have caring altogether as she reads something on what looks suspiciously like a dating profile. I walk in five minutes late without so much as a look given to me, and plop into the seat next to Kyle though we’re supposed to be separated.

“Hey, so, I was thinking that-”

“We’re working the first half of the day. Some of us plan on passing grade eleven”

I roll my eyes and lean back into my chair “What do you want to be when your older anyways? An accountant? What’s even more boring… umm…”

“A pianist if you must know. Now shut up and do your work” he orders.

Muttering under my breath I do just that. We’re both finished our days work by lunch and as I eat my starbursts he has his boring turkey sandwich. Didn’t turkey make you tired? Maybe that’s why he was always so lacklustre. Whereas starbursts were full of sweet sugar.