Chapter 30

Amara

I blinked several times. Did she just say...? No, can't be. That's not right. My ears must've been ringing or something. I think I just imagined that. I stared at Amara, my eyes wide and my jaw lowered as far as humanly possible. I blinked several times, just to make sure I wasn't in some crazy ass dream.

"And that, my dear, is the priceless reaction I always receive whenever I say that," Amara laughed. "I must admit, it is rather amusing to watch their brains try and wrap around it. I assure you, though, what I said is the truth."

I blinked again and shut my mouth.

"Say that again?"

Amara ran a hand through her hair and sighed. "I changed myself," she repeated.

Okay. So I did hear what I thought I did. That brings one thought to my mind:

What the hell?

"How the hell is that even possible?" I asked, gawking at my redheaded sister.

She laughed again, louder this time. My confusion was dispelled by the musical quality to her laugh which, much like Alice's, was nice to listen to. All of the Cullens had beautiful laughter, even Emmett. Of course, I loved Alice's musical laughter the most. I wouldn't need any music if I had a copy of that on my iPod.

Still, she wasn't giving me an answer.

"Are you gonna, you know, give me an answer or something?" I asked.

She stopped laughing and sighed. "Yes, yes. Sorry, but I always find the reactions I get humorous," she stated.

I rolled my eyes at that before growing serious. "How could you change yourself? I thought you had to be bitten by a vampire in order to become one."

"No, you need to have venom inside of you in order to change into a vampire," she corrected.

"What are you saying, then? You weren't bitten?"

"Not exactly," she admitted. "I guess it's necessary for me to start from the beginning and tell you a little about whom I was before I became what I am today. Do you want to hear, Bella? I won't bore you with minor details, only what I feel is important for you to know. It's your choice though, I could always skip ahead, but then you wouldn't have the basics."

I nodded. "That sounds fine, actually. I always like learning about your past lives."

"Ah, you and your curiosity," she chuckled. "Very well then, I'll tell you."

She leaned back and looked upwards to the sky, her eyes gleaming as she began to remember things from her past. Something odd struck me.

"How come you always do that?" I asked.

She frowned. "Do what?"

"You guys always look upwards or away whenever you remember something. Is that a reflex?"

Amara shrugged. "I suppose so. I've never noticed it myself. I guess we just do it as a way to focus on nothing in particular, which helps free up our mind for our memories. As a vampire, we do have amazing memories, but in order to remember our human life we have to want to. The more we recall our human life, the stronger the memories are and the further back we can go."

"How come Alice can't remember her human life, then?" I asked.

Her face grew soft. "That is something I don't know the answer to, Bella. I wish there was some way to help her, but I truly don't know how. She can't remember, plain and simple. We don't know why, truth be told. Carlisle believes that she may have experienced a great amount of pain and suffering as a human and because of it her mind simply erased those memories when she changed. That seems to be the only explanation we can think of so far."