Chapter 26

Chapter 26: Guardian

Guardian

Alice was, to put it bluntly, infuriated, livid, pissed off and angry. I know they all mean the same damn thing, but with the murderous look in her eyes, I think I have a right to use them all at once. Her eyes were black as black could be, glaring scathingly at Mike Newton.

I was amazed that his head hadn't exploded yet from her glare. What amazed me even more, though, was how oblivious he was. There is no fucking way in hell he can't feel a gigantic hole being burned into his skull. I mean, I'm not the target and I can feel it. Of course, I'm glad he can't feel it yet, because it'll make it even more so fun to watch Alice tear him apart.

Did I just seriously imagine that? Wow.

Mike was just looking at me, a mock look of shame on his face. "Whoa, I'm sorry about that Bella. Are you okay?" he asked, taking a step towards me.

I stepped back on reflex and, thanks to my knee pain, toppled back down, falling on my ass.

Mike reached his right arm out, likely offer and help me up, but before it could come anywhere near me, Alice's left hand came from nowhere and grabbed his wrist. The sound of bones cracking reached my ears instantly as Alice's hand tightened around his wrist.

"Ow..." he grumbled. "What the hell-"

"You. Will. Not. Touch. Her." Alice pronounced each word firmly and full of enough venom to melt the faces off every student at this school.

Mike looked utterly terrified. He tried to form words, but Alice increased the strength of her hold. The strength of her grip was enough to bring Mike to his knees, even though she was only using one hand. Her right hand was balled into a tight fist at her side, clenched so tightly I could see the veins bulging. It was quivering too. Alice's entire body was shaking with fury.

Her eyes bore into Mike like daggers into a heart. She was seething so badly I could practically see the waves of anger pouring off of her. I wasn't sure what to do. Part of me wanted to watch Mike suffer; part of me was worried about Alice.

I cringed when I pictured Alice's rage getting the better of her, which would likely result in Mike losing an arm. Or worse. As much as I felt he deserved punishment, I didn't want him to die and I sure as hell didn't want anything to affect Alice's consciousness.

"Alice..." I spoke quietly, hoping it would reach her. No such luck. Her grip only tightened as she bared her teeth, a low, rumbling growl emanating from her chest. Mike was wincing in pain, trying to break free from her grip. His mouth was moving, but no words forming, lost under Alice's wrathful gaze.

I remembered Esme explaining to me the whole maternal instinct thing. I needed for that to kick in so she would snap out of her rage. How, though?

"Alice," I said again, louder. There was still no answer, no signs that she had even heard me.

I got an idea, then. I didn't like it, but it would do the trick. I tried to move, to stand up, but did so abruptly, punching the floor with my left hand as I did. That got the effect I desired. Both my hand and my knee surged with pain, enough to make me whimper out loud. I winced at the pain, having not meant to hurt myself worse.

My whimpering did the trick, though. Alice's coal eyes shot over to me. She saw that I was in pain, which forced her maternal instincts to kick in. And thankfully, her maternal needs overpowered her need to rip off Mike Newton's arm. She released his arm in an instant and was by my side seconds later. I watched as Mike's arm fell to his side limply. He clutched it, his face full of agony and pain as he started rubbing his sore wrist.