Chapter 19

Chapter 19: Doubt

Doubt

Alice and I quickly moved past the swarms of people moving throughout the mall. Rosalie and Amara were way ahead of us, already outside by the time I could see the door through the masses of people.

I was worried.

Alice was tense, her eyes darting everywhere at once.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

She shook her head briskly. "I'll explain it in the car, I promise."

I frowned, but I didn't bother her about it anymore. We eventually managed to bypass more ogling strangers and got out of the mall. Waiting in front was an already started car, Rosalie exiting the driver's seat and getting into the backseat.

Alice opened my door fast and shut it just as fast, then sped over to her side and pressed her foot on the gas. We were gone in ten seconds flat, speeding down the roadway out of Port Angeles.

"So what the hell's going on, Alice? What did you see that was so bad that we had to leave, anyways?" Amara asked, mirroring the same thing going through my head and probably Rosalie's too.

Alice bit her lip before responding. "I saw that there's another vampire in the area. It was a woman, I know that. I didn't get a good look at her, but I didn't recognize her from what I saw."

Rosalie frowned while Amara scoffed.

"That's it? So there's another vampire, what's the big deal?" Amara asked.

"Amara, it's a very big deal!" Alice shouted.

Amara raised an eyebrow at her. "What do you mean?"

"Is this vampire with those other two?" Rosalie asked.

"I don't know," Alice responded. She glanced at me curiously, silently asking me if I knew.

I sighed. "I'm not sure. I never heard of or saw another one with them. I always figured they traveled together. I really don't know, though."

"So what if she is? There are eight of us. We could take her, no problem," Amara stated. "Plus Sophie and Arthur are in the area and it's not like they can't handle one vampire, right?"

Alice shook her head. "I think this one's a newborn."

Rosalie's scowl deepened. "A newborn? How do you know?"

"My vision was barely clear. It was hectic, just like the vampire. I saw her hunting, but she couldn't decide on where to hunt or what to do. I did, however, see that she was near Seattle and heading in this direction. I thought it best that we left as soon as possible, since hopefully our scents will be weaker by then and she won't try and track us."

I was totally confused now. "Um, Alice? What's a newborn, exactly?"

Alice bit her lip again. "Well-"

Amara cut her off. "A newborn is what we refer to vampires that were just created. It fits because they've just been born into their new life and everything is new to them. Newborns are considerably dangerous for a lot of reasons. For one thing, they're stronger than the average vampire, even stronger then Emmett. And he's powerful enough to shatter an entire tree with barely any effort. A newborn has twice that strength, so you can see why Alice would be worried, though I still think that, with the three of us, we could take one on."

Alice shook her head.

"You're forgetting some of the more important facts, Amara, like the fact that newborns are extremely volatile. Even worse, their bloodlust is much stronger, as are their senses. And you forgot to mention that one newborn is strong enough to take out three vampires," Alice stated, chiding her sister. "It wouldn't matter if I could predict her movements or not, nor would it matter how much your past training has done for you."