Chapter 3: Angel

Chapter 3: Angel

As I fell deeper into slumber, I dreamt. Correction, this was no dream. It was a nightmare. It was a reminder of pain from the past, pain both inflicted on and by me. The memories never left. They haunted me in my sleep and when I was awake. Past sins that dragged me further into the darkness of my own world. I'll never forget. I can't forget. I wish I could...

I had been on the run for a month now. I was somewhere north, I didn't know where exactly. My body was aching. I was starving and tired. Mostly, though, I was afraid. I knew I was going to be caught by them, by the hunters. I had been caught twice before. The first time had been the worst in terms of punishment. Victoria did most of it, beating me down until I was barely able to stand anymore. I never bled, though. But the bruises still remained.

I wanted this time to be different. I hoped I could get away. At the very least, I hoped I could find protection. Ha. Yeah, right, like anyone will believe me when I tell them I'm on the run from vampires. This is bullshit.

I hate my life, seriously.

It was day four of the hunt. I remembered keeping track of each day because, well, my life DID depend on it. I had been wandering around a dirt road. My legs were sore, so running wasn't an option. I tried, but I always ended up falling. So here I was, covered in dirt and bruises, when a car pulled up several feet in front of me.

I was nervous to say the least. I was too tired to be able to defend myself if the need called for it. So I silently prayed to God that somehow this was a kind Samaritan out trying to help a girl whose life was practically meaningless.

To be honest, I think God does exist. Because that's exactly what it was.

As I neared the car, one of the doors opened and out stepped a curly haired woman who looked to be in her thirties. She took one look at me, shook her head and motioned for me to come forward. I did, slowly of course.

"Now why in heaven's name are you out here all by yourself?" she asked with a bit of an accent.

I didn't know what to say, really. I mean, I sucked at lying. But I sure as hell couldn't tell her the truth either. So I decided to go with a half-truth. Besides, in my mind, if she was willing to give me a ride I would use it to my advantage. I'd eat their food, sleep wherever I could, shower and thank them before leaving. I couldn't get attached to them. I had to use them. I hated myself for thinking that way, but it was best.

"I ran away from home and now I'm lost," I admitted sheepishly, hanging my head.

"Oh, you poor dear," the woman said, touching my shoulders. "Well, would you like a ride with us sweetie? We've got food and an extra bed at home. What do you say?"

Bingo. I smiled politely at her. "Thank you, ma'am, I'd appreciate that. I don't want to be trouble, though."

"Nah, don't be that way. It ain't no trouble at all," she replied. "Hop in."

So I did. I got in this stranger's car and we drove off. It was a long, but peaceful drive. I spent most of it listening to her slowly talk about her family. Her name was Samantha and her husband was Roger. They had four children; two sons and two daughters. Their oldest child was Daniel, 22, followed by Jackson, 19, Sarah, 17 and the youngest, Christina, 15.

Samantha spoke about her family for about ten minutes before asking me why I ran away. My story, which I had been using since my life had become void, was a mixture of half-truths and lies. I was a seventeen year old only child that was abandoned by her abusive mother into the hands of incompetent foster parents who kicked me out after I was wrongfully blamed for crashing their car. I tried to make amends, but they refused me, so I simply ran away. Throw in some tears and sorrowful expressions, and the deed was done.